Can I put my old hard drive in a new pc

Teedo

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Basically I have a basic sh*t pc atm...
Unsure as to what the motherboard is because it's pulled out of a some useless ACER pc I think it's the Aspire X AXC-115-UR20.. with 4gb ram, amd e3-6110 apu with amd radeon r2 graphics plus MSI Radeon R9380 (which I basically gutted an put into a old pc case of mine...

Just recently bought a new 8gb ram, msi 970 motherboard an was wondering if I'm able to use the same HDD I currently have to run/install windows?

Basically is there a way I'm able to re-use the HDD to run the same Windows on the HDD already? or may I (format/delete current files) on the HDD some way an install windows to it via USB when booting system... Therefore I don't have to buy another HDD?

Solution

He is doing a major hardware change. Sometimes you can get away with just updating the drivers for the new system, but other times you do have to reinstall windows to get it working properly with full performance. Especially since he is doing a major change in the type of cpu and motherboard windows can get all screwy. So in my opinion it is a hope of the best but be ready for the worst type of situation.

BottleGamer

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
As long as you reinstall the drivers that changed, everything will be fine. The OS doesnt care if you changed your motherboard or not.
You´d just have to look out if you have upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 because then the serial key is connected with the mainboard

Teedo

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

That's what I was wondering.. So I don't have to delete anything before plugging it into the new PC? I can just either plug it in an it will work or it won't work an I'll have to reinstall Windows?

He is doing a major hardware change. Sometimes you can get away with just updating the drivers for the new system, but other times you do have to reinstall windows to get it working properly with full performance. Especially since he is doing a major change in the type of cpu and motherboard windows can get all screwy. So in my opinion it is a hope of the best but be ready for the worst type of situation.

Solution

Teedo

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

I'm sorry I'm a noob.. I familiar sort of but not 100% but which drivers exactly are you talking of?
An on the current PC I have with the HDD I plan to use I had Windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10.

The motherboard drivers which are for the chipset, audio, usb, cpu, LAN, SATA, ect.

Teedo

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

Okay, doesn't seem to harsh.. (This will be the first PC that I build on my own)
Am I able to install that now online to a USB to install easier (instead of using the disc) for the drivers?

This is the motherboard I bought.. http://www.amazon.com/MSI-970-GAMING-DDR3-Motherboard/dp/B00LUY72F6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457433044&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+970

I have a AMD FX4100 cpu and MSI Radeon R9380, 8GB RAM I plan on putting on it..
(Plus the other bs)

Yes you can download all the drivers to a USB stick so that you have them all ready to install right after you install windows if you have to reinstall windows cause it won't boot cause of the major hardware change.