[SOLVED] Can I put PC in dank basement?

redss

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Need opinions here: I want to locate a desktop PC in my basement since there isn't room for it upstairs.

The basement is non-airconditioned and non-dehumidified, so normally things that are stored in the basement (like clothing) develop mildew especially over hot humid summer months (I'm in Tennessee)

But since the computer will be constantly generating heat, I don't think the moisture would be a concern because the humid air would be air dried before reaching the electronic components and motherboard.

Is that a correct assumption? Has humid air ever affected a hot running PC?

Solution
I'm not too far from you. North Georgia.
I keep at least 2 computers running in my basement. They fold 24/7/365.
Been doing this for many years, and never had a problem.
We are considered Sub-Tropical here, with 72 +/- inches of rain per year. So humidity can be very high.
Need opinions here: I want to locate a desktop PC in my basement since there isn't room for it upstairs.

The basement is non-airconditioned and non-dehumidified, so normally things that are stored in the basement (like clothing) develop mildew especially over hot humid summer months (I'm in Tennessee)

But since the computer will be constantly generating heat, I don't think the moisture would be a concern because the humid air would be air dried before reaching the electronic components and motherboard.

Is that a correct assumption? Has humid air ever affected a hot running PC?
I think leaving it running constantly is a LOT better than not.
Although I think if it's extremely humid...over time...I think parts will degrade that aren't hot.....like connectors for instance...but I think it's possible for it to run for a long time without failing.

I'm not too far from you. North Georgia.
I keep at least 2 computers running in my basement. They fold 24/7/365.
Been doing this for many years, and never had a problem.
We are considered Sub-Tropical here, with 72 +/- inches of rain per year. So humidity can be very high.

Solution