Can I put RAM from an Acer Laptop into a Dell Laptop?

Riff88

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hi,

I had an Acer Travelmate P236 laptop, which broke. It had 4GB ram.

My new laptop, a Dell Latitude 3460 has 4GB ram. I want to know if I can take the old ram from the Acer laptop, and add it to the Dell Laptop, to make it a bit faster?

Thanks a bunch!

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
There's no guaranteeing that it will work together. Mixing and matching RAM, even for laptops, is pretty hit or miss. That being said it wouldn't hurt to try it, and if it works then it works. Just know that the laptop will run at the speed of the slower RAM.

Death Valley

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
There's absolutely no problem with mixing different branded ones; the only things I can suggest you to do is to check the integrity of the different RAMs you've got on your hands, so that you don't end up keeping crashing if one RAM is bad (you can usually do that in the BIOS or by running a command). BUT first, just make sure they have the same clock, otherwise it'll create a bottleneck since the pc will only make use of the lower clock for both RAMs

Riff88

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately the RAM isn't compatible.

Underneath the top RAM it says ONLY DDR3L DIMM A. The bottom one says ONLY DDR3L DIMM B, as you can see from the first picture. In the bottom picture, the RAM at the bottom is the Dell RAM, and the top is the Acer RAM.

They look very similar, I thought it would be okay. When I put the Acer RAM in, and turn on the laptop, it made very loud beep warning noises, so I took it out. It's a real shame. Thanks anyway!

https://imgur.com/a/0Peyt

Death Valley

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
DIMM A a and DIMM B simply mean primary and secondary, there's no difference between them so you may freely interchange them; the sticker says only DDR3 L, DIMMS are just there to tell you which is primary and which is secondary. Any chances for pics of the RAM you have ? Thanks :)

CeramicTilePudding69

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

JalYt_Justin is right, but the problem here is that the Acer laptop uses DDR3 RAM and the DELL laptop uses DDR3L which are not intercompatible.

Riff88

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I feel silly for posting this update, but maybe it will help someone. I moved the Dell Ram to the bottom slot, and put the Acer's Ram in the Dell's top slot, and it worked! Thanks Death Valley, should have done it ages ago.