Can I Raid 0 a Samsung 960 Evo with a 960 pro?

Mar 12, 2018
I'm currently debating about buying a 500GB samsung 960 EVO M.2 at a steal for my PC to increase my storage up to 1TB.

I currently have a 960 Pro installed, so I was wondering if it was possible to put these two M.2 drives in a Raid Array. I'm not too fussed about gaining any perfor0mance boots from Raid 0 itself just want to increase storage capacity.

Solution

You mean the embedded SSD controller in the two drives? I don't know why that would matter, you can put differing drives in RAID AFAIK. Heck, they don't even have to be the same size for it to be possible.

That being said, I would probably still just use them as two separate drives rather than RAIDing them.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

You mean the embedded SSD controller in the two drives? I don't know why that would matter, you can put differing drives in RAID AFAIK. Heck, they don't even have to be the same size for it to be possible.

That being said, I would probably still just use them as two separate drives rather than RAIDing them.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

That may have been an "I'm getting old and forgetful" moment but I could have sworn with NVMe drives they had to have the same controller. I can't find anything to back that up now though. Maybe something to do with the EVO's cache? TRIM not working maybe? Hmmm.

I'd put Windows and your programs on the Pro and use the Evo for storage. Even if I'm wrong about them being incompatible RAID 0 always just introduces another potential point of failure.

Mar 12, 2018
Thanks guys for your responses. I'm not too worried about the extra potential for failure from RAID 0 as I backup my PC daily, was just curious to whether or not to jump on the good price or not