[SOLVED] Can I Raid Multiple Partitions across MULTIPLE NVMe Drives?

Apr 30, 2021
I know I can't or shouldn't raid multiple partitions across a SINGLE NVMe drive, but can I or should I raid multiple partitions across MULTIPLE NVMe drives? Here's why: I have tons of music projects/samples/applications etc. but limited funds and NVMe storage space. I have three 2 TB NVMe drives in a 4 slot PCIE adapter. I need at least 1.65 TB for the main drive, 2.5 TB for the Samples Drive, but only need about 500 GB for the song files drive. Can I allocate half of the remaining 1500 GB from my Song Files drive to my main drive and then raid those together and allocate the other half to my samples drive and then raid those together? If so, would that decrease performance? If that doesn't work do you have any other suggestions as to how I can allocate and not waste this NVMe memory? Thanks!

Solution
There are probably worse configurations, but I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

You have 3x 2TB drives.

You apparently need a 2.5TB space for 'Samples'.
Do these samples really really need to be in one volume/drive letter?

What is the actual reason some can't be on one drive, and other files be on another?

USAFRet

Titan
There are probably worse configurations, but I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

You have 3x 2TB drives.

You apparently need a 2.5TB space for 'Samples'.
Do these samples really really need to be in one volume/drive letter?

What is the actual reason some can't be on one drive, and other files be on another?

Solution
Apr 30, 2021
I know I can't or shouldn't raid multiple partitions across a SINGLE NVMe drive, but can I or should I raid multiple partitions across MULTIPLE NVMe drives? Here's why: I have tons of music projects/samples/applications etc. but limited funds and NVMe storage space. I have three 2 TB NVMe drives in a 4 slot PCIE adapter. I need at least 1.65 TB for the main drive, 2.5 TB for the Samples Drive, but only need about 500 GB for the song files drive. Can I allocate half of the remaining 1500 GB from my Song Files drive to my main drive and then raid those together and allocate the other half to my samples drive and then raid those together? If so, would that decrease performance? If that doesn't work do you have any other suggestions as to how I can allocate and not waste this NVMe memory? Thanks!

Apr 30, 2021
Thanks! Well, as you know it's difficult to get a good NVMe drive that is more than 2TB. I suppose I could divide my samples across drives, but then that seems to be a "pointing" nightmare. I suppose I could do it with aliases, but they say you are supposed to keep your samples separate from everything else. I also would then have very little room to grow with my main drive as well.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks! Well, as you know it's difficult to get a good NVMe drive that is more than 2TB. I suppose I could divide my samples across drives, but then that seems to be a "pointing" nightmare. I suppose I could do it with aliases, but they say you are supposed to keep your samples separate from everything else. I also would then have very little room to grow with my main drive as well.
Is this a Windows platform, or something else?

Windows and applications have gotten really good at managing multiple drives.

Sample A-L on Drive X, Sample M-Z on Drive Y.
Seriously.

Once it is there, you need to do very little manual "pointing".

A RAID 0 with sliced off partitions will increase system complexity and make managing growth room a real hassle.

Apr 30, 2021
Sorry, Mac Pro 5,1 modded. Mojave. Supposedly guys are getting new cheese grater performance by putting in 3 or 4 of these Samsung 970 NVMe's into an adapter in the PCIE slot. Wanted to get a 4TB NVMe, but REALLY expensive and terrible reviews compared to the Samsung 2TB's. Hence, the desire to allocate.

Apr 30, 2021
Ok, how about I partition them but don't raid them? I can split my Song Files drive into 3 partitions and use 1 partition for Samples Drive overflow and 1 partition for Main Drive overflow. I suppose I could use aliases as well. Would that work? Thanks!