[SOLVED] can I read a .dmp file from command prompt?

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
I just got a call . . A friend's PC won't run Win 10 in any way/shape/form. Cannot even get to safe mode, cannot 'fix', 'repair' or any of those other options. I have no other details at this point - except a BSOD. More details when I get over there tomorrow - but for now: I know Nothing about Win 10 (have not given up my Win 7! )

Can I read/copy/analyze the .dmp file from a command prompt if the PC will not boot? I don't know yet if he has Win 10 on a bootable device (disc or usb) - I read somewhere that I may not even be able to get to a command prompt if the PC won't boot.

thanks

Kelly

Solution
I just got a call . . A friend's PC won't run Win 10 in any way/shape/form. Cannot even get to safe mode, cannot 'fix', 'repair' or any of those other options. I have no other details at this point - except a BSOD. More details when I get over there tomorrow - but for now: I know Nothing about Win 10 (have not given up my Win 7! )

Can I read/copy/analyze the .dmp file from a command prompt if the PC will not boot? I don't know yet if he has Win 10 on a bootable device (disc or usb) - I read somewhere that I may not even be able to get to a command prompt if the PC won't boot.

reading the dump and understanding what it all means are 2 vastly different topics. I know, I have been trying to work them out for 5 years now :)...

Colif

Win 11 Master

reading the dump and understanding what it all means are 2 vastly different topics. I know, I have been trying to work them out for 5 years now :)

Now if PC won't even run windows, knowing what BSOD says might not really help him get back into windows. Sort of depends what BSOD message he is getting as there are over 270 codes that could appear but generally I only ever see a few of them. Some are hardware errors, most are software.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive if nothing else

anything on the PC he wants to save?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd

I would suggest your friend copies anything off Boot drive he wants to keep and tries a clean install as if its just a software problem that will likely fix it. And if its hardware we will find out after install when problem still exists. Reinstall is normally using a hammer to fix a BSOD but if PC won't boot... its best option

boot from installer

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
thanks @Colif - I'm not saying I can understand a .dmp file - I was of the impression that it holds the clues as to the real issues with the pc - I intended to 'read' it and share any info I can glean, here on this wonderful forum!

hopefully we'll get somewhere with a fresh boot-installer - will try your suggestion - stay tuned!

kelly

Colif

Win 11 Master
it does hold information that hopefully might reveal cause of errors. Many of the ones I read are cryptic and don't tell me anything apart from what crashed. I am learning as I go along, but some of them just make me want to run away :)

Two people who help here have made programs that can layout the results of WinDbg in a format I can understand, if you can give us a link to the Memory.dmp we would at least know what error he got. Thing is, the memory.dmp file can be really big so it depends on your internet as well.

Most bsod are solved by a reinstall as you have to be really unlucky to get same drivers again.