can i reflash dead bios with working 2nd bios on gigabyte mobo ?

srrokib

Prominent
May 13, 2017
My primary bios failed to boot as there had been a load shedding during i was gaming.... the mobo debug led starts to switch between cpu and ram. i tried to boot on to second bios by holding the reset button for 10 seconds and when it switched to the other bios everything worked fine... problem is if switch back to the first bios (which i assume is corrupted) the problem appears again (doesnt boot and the debug led starts to switch between cpu and ram).. i tried clearing cmos ..removing cmos battery and the jumper method again again ... but nothing seems to work.. so my question is can i reflash the broken bios using the bios which is working? . or should i stay with the working 2nd bios (i m scared if the 2nd bios may corrupt again or not)

my spec
mobo gigabyte ab350 gaming 3
cpu r7 1700
ram geil super luce 2400 8*2 gb kit

Solution
You have to start with working BIOS in order to even be able to flash, so not much choice here. As far as I know, system will start flashing primary BIOS first no matter which one you boot from. However if the corruption of primary BIOS is hardware in nature (it would seem so in your case), reflashing it probably will not help. Either way, I think you should consult Gigabyte support before trying to flash the BIOS, they may have more precise answer to your question (or not, but it's worth to try anyway).
You have to start with working BIOS in order to even be able to flash, so not much choice here. As far as I know, system will start flashing primary BIOS first no matter which one you boot from. However if the corruption of primary BIOS is hardware in nature (it would seem so in your case), reflashing it probably will not help. Either way, I think you should consult Gigabyte support before trying to flash the BIOS, they may have more precise answer to your question (or not, but it's worth to try anyway).

Solution
Feb 15, 2019
Hi bro. This posted seems to be old. But i have faced same issue like yours. Booting with secondary bios since primary is failed. Have you found the solution for this? Appreciate it your reply thanks