Can I reformat/wipe my SSD but keep the OS on it?

OneLegacy

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
So basically I want to wipe my SSD because it's been a year since I got it and I'd like to have more space and I probably have a few viruses from downloading sketchy things but I've never bothered to clean my SSD until now, but I have Windows 10 and I want to keep the OS and only the OS on my SSD and wipe everything else, is that possible without rebuying windows?

Solution

There are two...
It sure is. In fact is is possible to do so from within Windows 10 now.

If you go to settings then update & security and click on "recovery". then click on "Get Started" under "Reset this PC" at the very top. When you do this, set it to remove everything. Keep in mind it will delete all your files from the drive where windows is installed.

If it ask, make sure to only delete files from where Windows is installed. It is a good idea to have any drivers you will need ready on some form of external media like a usb drive.

OneLegacy

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

Thank you, it removes everything except for windows correct? (Meaning I won't have to install windows and input my license key, because in that case, I'm screwed because Iost my license key)

There are two options in that dialog. They're self-explanatory once you actually get there. One thing to avoid however: don't select "fully clean the drive" because that's a secure forensic erase, which takes way longer and will add a lot of unwanted writes.

Yes. This will do the job as you've defined it.

Solution