Can I reinstall windows 10 after 29/07/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafiul27

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Hi, I have the windows 10 free upgrade from windows 7.

If I ever need a reformat can I reinstall windows 7 after 29th July 2016, using my original windows 7 disc and then be offered a windows 10 upgrade like usual?

Solution

If you need to reinstall WIn 10, you do not need to go back to WIn 7 first.
Your system info is already registered at Microsoft, and you can do a clean install of just Win 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq
How do I reinstall Windows 10 on my PC?
After you upgrade to Windows 10, you can reinstall or do a clean installation on the same device. You won't need a product key to reactivate Windows 10 on the same hardware. For more info on how to create your own Windows 10...

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

You will probably find that you don't get offered the upgrade after 29th July.

Your best bet would be to download a Windows 10 ISO image from Microsoft's website here. The Media Creation Tool can create bootable DVDs, USB keys or simply save the ISO to your hard disk for you to burn off in future.

You will get a cleaner install by installing Win10 from scratch rather than upgrading from Win7. Your Digital Entitlement from your current Win10 installation should be recognised automatically if your hardware is unchanged or only slightly changed (new hard disk/SSD for example). There is a feature in the Anniversary Update due out on 30th July which should make re-activation more reliable by allowing you to associate your licence with a Microsoft account.

Ntabat

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

Thank you man!! I purchased a refurbished laptop from a friend, which he had previously upgraded to windows 10. Upon reformat, windows went back to 8.1 and I wanted 10. Everything I searched online just explains how to reformat Windows 10, NOTHING about hardware recognition. This is good to know for others who purchase laptops via Craigslist etc.

Thank you for the post.

USAFRet

Titan

If you need to reinstall WIn 10, you do not need to go back to WIn 7 first.
Your system info is already registered at Microsoft, and you can do a clean install of just Win 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq
How do I reinstall Windows 10 on my PC?
After you upgrade to Windows 10, you can reinstall or do a clean installation on the same device. You won't need a product key to reactivate Windows 10 on the same hardware. For more info on how to create your own Windows 10 installation media, see the Microsoft software download website.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Once you have had Win 10 on a PC, you can always put it on again**. The 29th was just the cut off for the free upgrade. Reinstalls don't have an end date.

** If you change all the hardware in PC, its unlikely to work as your digital entitlement to win 10 is based on your previous Windows licence + a product code made up of all the hardware in PC so if you change too much, Microsoft will see it as a new PC. Swapping a HDD is unlikely to cause this though

Status
Not open for further replies.