Can I reinstall Windows 8 on the C: drive but keep any programs on the F: drive?

Alex76767

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I recently managed to break my windows installation by... well doing a lot of stuff. But I want to know if i can reinstall windows on my 160GB HDD but keep any programs on my other 2TB HDD. I want to do this because there are progams on there(like bf3) that are 20+ gigs to download and I only get 60Gbs a month.

I have tried using the windows 8 recovery disk but it does not pick up on the damaged installation.

Also feel free to give any other ideas if you have any :)

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Solution

Thank you for the quick reply. I knew there was something with the registry keeping me back :/ but just curious as to what this guy means. He is regarding a WINXP upgrade to WIN7 while keeping everything, I assume upgrading is different from a reinstall.

"Actually there is a way to do it, as long as one stays 32-bit. Upgrade...
Sorry, no.
When you install most programs, you enter required information in the windows registry which is on the "C" drive.
A clean install wipes that out.

With a 160gb HDD, I would consider this as an opportune time to convert to a SSD. Everything you do will feel so much faster.

Put the 160gb hard drive in an external usb enclosure and use it as a backup device so this situation won't happen again.

Alex76767

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Thank you for the quick reply. I knew there was something with the registry keeping me back :/ but just curious as to what this guy means. He is regarding a WINXP upgrade to WIN7 while keeping everything, I assume upgrading is different from a reinstall.

"Actually there is a way to do it, as long as one stays 32-bit. Upgrade first to a compatible version of Vista, then to Win 7. Not truly recommended, but if it's absolutely essential to keep all installed software (keep in mind that some may not be Win 7 compatible) then it is doable."
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/63417-63-replace-hard-drive-install-windows

Solution

Alex76767

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Actually the only big program I want to keep is BF3(origin) I'm fine with wiping the drive its on if theres a way to just copy the DLC from another pc to mine( i have the install discs) and sorry for assuming you know about BF3 :p but maybe you do idk :)