[SOLVED] can i remove the motherboard's heat sink or part of it to fit the graphics card?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
hi, my cpu i5-4670k, gpu - zotac 1050ti mini, mobo- gigabyte z87x-ud3h, bios version F10b, psu corsair cs650m , ram 4x4gb @1600 mhz, windows10, cabinet cooler master haf 912, cpu cooler-Hyper 212X
i wanted to upgrade my gpu to gigabyte Radeon™ RX 5600 XT GAMING OC 6G. but the new gpu deffinately gonna cross the heatsink shown in the picture- View: https://i.imgur.com/o946zNz.jpg

an i remove the heat sink or part of it to fit the graphics card? if i can , will that effect my DRM or any other thing which can drastically effect my pc's performance or heat generation?

Solution
psu corsair cs650m
How old is that unit? It'll need to be changed since it's not a good unit(even if it was brand new).

FYI, the heatsink on the board was designed in such a way that the GPU will go right over it without being impeded. Longer GPU's were made prior to 2020, so you shouldn't be bothered about removing the PCH heatsink.

Again, change the PSU prior to your GPU upgrade or you're going to fry everything in your system.

Lutfij

Titan
psu corsair cs650m
How old is that unit? It'll need to be changed since it's not a good unit(even if it was brand new).

FYI, the heatsink on the board was designed in such a way that the GPU will go right over it without being impeded. Longer GPU's were made prior to 2020, so you shouldn't be bothered about removing the PCH heatsink.

Again, change the PSU prior to your GPU upgrade or you're going to fry everything in your system.

Reactions: eziowar
Solution

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015

thank you for replying, i will change my psu. can u please tell me if free space between the gpu rx 5600xt and motherboard after leaving pcie slot is more than the zotac 1050ti mini have? i mean how high the gigabyte rx 5600xt is from motherboard after leaving pcie slot, is it as same as zotac 1050ti mini or more than it? cause right now if my zotac 1050ti had same length as gigabyte rx 5600xt then it gonna cut through the heatsink, i have physically measured that.
i just saw many builds with this motherboard using long gpus like gtx 1080ti,1060 etc in here- https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/YF7wrH . if gtx 1080ti can fit there then rx 5600xt will fit too right?

Last edited: