Can I Remove windows 7 on my other partition?

Pimpin Lincoln

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Ok, so I had Windows 7 and i installed Ubuntu, and was going along enjoying myself but then found no need for Ubuntu, I idiotically deleted the Ubuntu partition. and got the GRUB Rescue screen. SO i bought Windows 8.1 and I booted from the DVD Drive and installed windows, except I put windows 8.1 on the old formatted Ubuntu partition which had like 80GB. I did this so i could save all my files from windows 7. Now that iv'e got my files from windows 7. What would be the steps to safely Format the windows 7 partition. and give that unused space to the drive that windows 8 is using.
Drives.png

Solution

Before you install Windows on the unallocated partition, you are given the option to format or delete disks first, proceed to delete those 2 disks, (the extended partition and 7.8GB one but do not delete the one that is 100MB)

Then install Windows on the unallocated one. Do a clean install

Reyaz123

Admirable
If you want to extend your windows 8.1 partition with the entire space of the windows 7 partition, back up all of your windows 7 files to an external drive first, before doing these steps.

While logged into windows 8.1, you open disk management, and delete the windows 7 partition (do not format it)
After that is done, right click the windows 8.1 partition in disk management, and click extend volume. Extend as much space as you can and after that is done, you can transfer the files you have from windows 7(backed up on your external drive) to your windows 8.1 partition.

Edit: You could have also performed an upgrade install to windows 7 to keep all of your files while upgrading the OS to windows 8. But if you have an extneral drive for backup, it is much safer to use to backup everything on your system.

Pimpin Lincoln

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

Ok, so i did what you said, since i already have all the files from windows 7 that i need and it says Unallocated, and when i right click the windows 8.1 partition it dosent let me click extend volume. I'm lost
cant_extend.png

Pimpin Lincoln

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

I included one above but here it is again. Is there a problem because i noticed my C: Drive says New Volume, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it
cant_extend.png

Reyaz123

Admirable
The drive that had windows 8 says new volume? I thought you deleted the D drive with windows 7 on it. That sounds like you deleted the wrong one, or I am wrong, let's see your disk management screenshot (the one you posted a few minutes ago didn't show up)

Pimpin Lincoln

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

I think it has something to do when i Deleted Ubuntu, but i don't see how it could mess anything up, is there a fix?

Reyaz123

Admirable
It wouldn't mess anything up if you deleted ubuntu, only if it was the only thing you could boot from. It only says new volume on the windows 8 partition because it was named that when you created it in the first place.

Open msconfig, click the boot tab and remove windows 7/ubuntu from there if it still exists. Also, set windows 8.1 as the default partition in there.

I'm puzzled why it won't let you extend the windows 8 partition when there is so much allocated space, make sure 100% you can extend it in disk management

Pimpin Lincoln

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

Not sure if you can see this image, but i checked msconfig and windows 8.1 is the only thing there
qApMzi.png

Reyaz123

Admirable
Now I see what your problem is, Windows 8 storage is being saved on an logical partition, you can only boot/extend from a primary partition.

Good thing you backed up all of your files.

Now what you have to do, Is format the unallocated disk to NTFS format and see if you can extend it with the leftover space (from the last drive in that list). Let me know what happens when you try extending it first.

After, install windows 8 from the installation cd onto the partition you just formatted into NTFS from unallocated) then, you can restore your files on there.

Pimpin Lincoln

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

Well it wont let me format the Unallocated partition so should i just Reinstall windows on the Unallocate space?
zySYih.png

Pimpin Lincoln

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

No, I can't extend that drive either. So when i Reinstall Windows 8.1 and go to put it on the Unallocated partition, should i just format the "logical drive"? cause when your choosing where to put windows i believe it allows you to format partitions if im correct.

Reyaz123

Admirable

Before you install Windows on the unallocated partition, you are given the option to format or delete disks first, proceed to delete those 2 disks, (the extended partition and 7.8GB one but do not delete the one that is 100MB)

Then install Windows on the unallocated one. Do a clean install

Solution

Pimpin Lincoln

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

Thank you very much sir for all the help! Have a great day!

Reyaz123

Admirable

No problem, Let me know if you have any problems installing Windows. You have a great day too

Pimpin Lincoln

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

Everything is running great! Thanks again!
Aq3tEK.png