Question Can I repair the burnt Mosfet on my gtx 1070 graphics card? (Pictures in the post)

May 6, 2021
Hello this is my first time posting here. I recently had my gtx 1070 graphics card blow a mosfet, I believe this is the component that burnt. I've seen many people post on here and the community is extremely helpful. I can get my hands on a heatgun and the tools to repair the device if it is possible. The image is below.

View: https://imgur.com/VpEB8Ve

From the pictures of the mosfet, the 4th one blew and there is possibly damage to the surrounding components. The back of the card doesn't seem to have any damage. My question is from the image do you think this damage is reparable and if so what components would i need to check and replace. Can anyone give me a quick walkthrough if it is possible to repair with minimal experience. I really don't have much to lose and thought it would be an awesome project to undertake.

Also if this is really not doable at home due to the damage does anyone know of any trust worthy place that I could possible get it repaired?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
As it's not just the MOSFET, I would be extremely surprised if this was repairable, even to the extent that it's not even worth the time to pay for a long shot. But perhaps someone more daring than I has a better answer than this.

May 6, 2021
What caused this?
What else is damaged (that you can't see)?

Hi I believe this is from overclocking the memory core. I had it running at 2100 mhz for a few hours without noticing, I usually have a lower core oc on this card. The back was pretty hot but the gpu was sitting at below 65C in use, and in my inexperience I believed this was fine.

Looking at the card this area is the only part that looks damaged, I have not done any other diagnostics. it was working fine just a day ago until my computer wouldn't boot. The computer boots just fine with a 1660 super I have.

USAFRet

Titan
Looks are not definitive.
I was referring to other components on that GPU.

And I have a hard time thinking an OC will actually cook a part like that.

Anyway...replacing that one visible failed part may or may not be the solution.

May 6, 2021
Looks are not definitive.
I was referring to other components on that GPU.

And I have a hard time thinking an OC will actually cook a part like that.

Anyway...replacing that one visible failed part may or may not be the solution.

Can you give more information on what I would need to do to check the other components? When I have it plugged into the motherboard and power supply the computer does not boot. Would the only way to check the other components be to just use a voltmeter on the other components while its on the power supply?

Can you maybe give more information about the steps to begin to replace some of these components?

May 6, 2021
As it's not just the MOSFET, I would be extremely surprised if this was repairable, even to the extent that it's not even worth the time to pay for a long shot. But perhaps someone more daring than I has a better answer than this.

Can you provide any insight into the other parts that you seem to think are also broken? the driver or anything else specific to your knowledge?

Sorry I am very new and trying to learn more any try to do some repair on this gpu.

USAFRet

Titan
Can you give more information on what I would need to do to check the other components? When I have it plugged into the motherboard and power supply the computer does not boot. Would the only way to check the other components be to just use a voltmeter on the other components while its on the power supply?

Can you maybe give more information about the steps to begin to replace some of these components?
Without very expensive manufacturer level test equipment, no.

There are several hundred components on this. Any of them could be affected internally.

And it is MUCH more than just a voltmeter.
For instance...
Given a signal to Component A, does Component B ramp up from 0.3 volts to 1.1 volts within 3 ms.

May 6, 2021
Without very expensive manufacturer level test equipment, no.

There are several hundred components on this. Any of them could be affected internally.

And it is MUCH more than just a voltmeter.
For instance...
Given a signal to Component A, does Component B ramp up from 0.3 volts to 1.1 volts within 3 ms.

What I am asking is assuming that the damage is isolated to this area in the photo, what are the steps you may take to replace and try to repair the graphics card. Just a simple evaluation and a first step lets say to begin to gain some experience and knowledge as to the issue and a possible resolution. Possible parts that could be replaced and resources to provide some answers.