Can I replace a atx board with a matx board in a dell case?

Solution
If the motherboard inside it already is ATX, then yes. mATX is fully compatible with ATX cases. Be sure to check your PC's specs however, since Dell is infamous for using proprietary PSUs and unusual motherboard form factors like BTX.

Chayan4400

Honorable
If the motherboard inside it already is ATX, then yes. mATX is fully compatible with ATX cases. Be sure to check your PC's specs however, since Dell is infamous for using proprietary PSUs and unusual motherboard form factors like BTX.

Solution

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Even if dell has an matx case, the front i/o panel connectors might be different. It happened to me when I wanted to replace a bad dell motherboard and I ended up buying the same model instead of getting a cheaper generic one. It is probably better to get an generic matx/atx case.

Chayan4400

Honorable

True, I forgot about that. Dell likes to make everything proprietary. They make quite a lot in spare parts I'm guessing :). Check the front panel headers as well.

Now that you mentioned it, also check if your I/O shield is part of the case, as it often is on Dells. If it is you'll have to get creative and cut it out to fit in a different motherboard. There's no way it'll work with the original I/O shield in place. Not worth the trouble for me; it would be easier to just get a new case. You also need to make sure your PSU conforms to ATX specifications too; if not it may not have the connectors needed for the new motherboard. If even one of the above is proprietary, then the new motherboard won't work. Even the CPU heat-sink may have a proprietary connector if reusing the stock one. Better to just start over with something like the Fractal Design Core 1000 or the NZXT Source 210. They'll be much easier to work in. Make sure the PSU is ATX compliant though else it may not mount in those cases.

TRENDING THREADS