Question Can i replace headphone cable with a basic jack2jack extension cable?

leadr

Commendable
Nov 3, 2017
Hey!
My headphone's cable got broken, and i want to repair it instead of throw it out. I would like to know if i can use basic jack2jack cable,( or mother jack to father jack) to replace the original.
My plan:
Disassembling the headphone, desolder the original cable. Cut one end from the jack cable, and solder the wires to the headphone, and reassamble.
Could it work? Or the headphone replacement cables are more special, than a basic 2$ jack2jack from a PC shop?

Hey!
My headphone's cable got broken, and i want to repair it instead of throw it out. I would like to know if i can use basic jack2jack cable,( or mother jack to father jack) to replace the original.
My plan:
Disassembling the headphone, desolder the original cable. Cut one end from the jack cable, and solder the wires to the headphone, and reassamble.
Could it work? Or the headphone replacement cables are more special, than a basic 2$ jack2jack from a PC shop?
Depends on what it's connected to. Not worth it imo just get a new set

There is nothing special about a headphone cable, specially if its has no vol control, no mic included.

I have 2 etymotics in-ears (usd$100 ea.) which I have replaced the cable this way with cheap Apple cables (I like whites), and have owned these for like 10 years and replaced cables like a dozen times. My next upgrade I shall demand replaceable cables, there is a standard now for this, I forgot the name.

D

Deleted member 217926

My next upgrade I shall demand replaceable cables, there is a standard now for this, I forgot the name.

MMCX is the universal one although some brands still use their own standards.

Cables can make a tiny difference but it's like .5% in the overall sound signature and you need something high end to even hear that level of detail.

D

Deleted member 217926

That question in the OP was the basis of my post. Hence the sentence break from my respose to you. Thanks for thinking you need to moderate what I post though.

leadr

Commendable
Nov 3, 2017
Works flawlessly! :)
KKP0VcS.jpg

Reactions: Remeca