Can I replace my laptop's CPU?

effable

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
Hello! I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro with an i7-4510U

It's quite old and it's been really slow. I've optimized it, reset it, restarted it, ran virus scans but nothing.

Would it be possible to replace it with an i7-7700HQ or some other good i7 that will go into the laptop? (if possible I want one that has a good amount of power and is like 6-7th gen.)

Thanks!

effable

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
It's my mom's. She uses it for facebook, email and just her studies.
She has no more then a few tabs open like her email, youtube, facebook and a few pictures but it barely holds up. It lags a crap ton and I've done everything possible.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Have you monitored temperatures at all? Possibly running hot and cleaning off whatever junk they put on there and using some high quality thermal paste would help.

It's not a crazy fast CPU, but should breeze through browsing perfectly fine.

If it is running hot, I would recommend Themral Grizzly Kryonaut, could end up being a $10 fix.

Cpu and ram are soldered. The only thing that can be changed is the ssd. It shouldn't be lagging with just that. My first thought was it was overheating as well. Check the temps. If that's fine, check to see if the cpu speed is going up with cpuz. How much ram and usage?

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

Most certainly is the cause would be my bet, are fans running? I'd go ahead and replace the thermal paste. What temps does it actually read? Regardless it shouldn't feel that hot to the touch from basic usage after a few minutes, I doubt it did when it was new.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Is this at startup or after its been browsing for a little while? if it's at 55c right away for a minimum temp, that is hot. 81c is not hot enough for a maximum temp to cause throttling, but if thats just sitting at idle during startup then thats very hot and will likely reach throttle temps under any sustained load.