Can I replace my mobo without re-installing windows? And does it have OEM

caelum1999

Honorable
Sep 25, 2014
Hey everyone, I have been wanting to replace my mobo with a totally different one. But I dont know if my windows 8.1 is OEM. I got my computer pre-built from cyberpowerpc. I'am keeping the same chipset, z87. But different brands. MSi to Asus. Will I need to buy a new OEM? I have heard that windows 8.1 does not use OEM. So do I need to buy a new one? Cyberpower included a win8.1 repair disk.

Solution
There is no OEM version of windows 8.1 for sale to home builders . The the license is called a "home user license"and it lets you reinstall and activate on 2 more computers[ motherboards ]

The version cyberpower installed ... I dont know what their license conditions are . Did you get a disk?

Anyway since you have win 8 I think you can just swap motherboards , reboot , let windows sort out the drivers
and when it tries to activate you are either going to get stung with a notice to pay for a license or its all going to be good [ not likely]

That first boot ... dont be plugged in to a router
There is no OEM version of windows 8.1 for sale to home builders . The the license is called a "home user license"and it lets you reinstall and activate on 2 more computers[ motherboards ]

The version cyberpower installed ... I dont know what their license conditions are . Did you get a disk?

Anyway since you have win 8 I think you can just swap motherboards , reboot , let windows sort out the drivers
and when it tries to activate you are either going to get stung with a notice to pay for a license or its all going to be good [ not likely]

That first boot ... dont be plugged in to a router

Solution