Can I replace my Seagate ST3500418AS 500 GB Hard Drive with a Seagate 1TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Ha

schroedel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
My Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB Hard Drive is showing signs of dying. Reallocated sector count raw value of 51(Crystal Disk) and failed also Compaq Hardware Diagnostic SMART short self test failed. Would this be a good replacement( Seagate 1TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST1000DM010) or should I look for the same exact one? Thank you for any input.

Solution
You might want to run the official Seagate hard drive diagnostic tool.
It is called seatools.

I generally think WD as a replacement might be more reliable.

Better, yet... if you have not yet converted to a ssd, I would look at that option first.
Samsung evo is a good choice.
You might want to run the official Seagate hard drive diagnostic tool.
It is called seatools.

I generally think WD as a replacement might be more reliable.

Better, yet... if you have not yet converted to a ssd, I would look at that option first.
Samsung evo is a good choice.

Solution

schroedel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018

I installed suggested Seatools for windows and it scaned but came up blank? No results etc...

schroedel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018

I just saw this (https://www.howtogeek.com/284677/how-to-upgrade-to-a-larger-hard-drive-without-reinstalling-windows/ ) and will need to read through it better to see if it may work in my situation. I am way out of my element here so bear with me. Thank you

I do not know that you really have a hard drive problem.
Hard drives come with spare sectors so any that show up waak can be reallocated.
I do not know if 51 is a worrisome number or not, but I would not dump the drive unless you have other indications that it is causing a performance problem.

schroedel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018

That makes sense. The PC does freeze up quite a bit and I have to restart.I have also noticed on some occasions that menu icons disappear and my Cumulus program for my weather station completely vanished once. It is a Compaq CQ5320Y (2009)

I do not know your budget.
How much of your 500gb hard drive is actually used?

If the used space is <200gb, then
My suggestion is to buy a Samsung 850 evo of 240gb. It should cost about $90,
Or, a 500gb unit is about $150 if you are using more than 200gb.
Samsung has a free ssd migration took that will move your C drive to their ssd.
It is a mover utility, not a clone utility like you linked.
A clone is a bit for bit copy and the sending device must fit on the receiving device, regardless of how much is actually used.
It will transform the performance of your pc.

When done, you can reinitialize your hard drive to recover any bad sectors and use it for added storage.