Can I replace the DVD of the Presario R3000 with this Drive Caddy (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4E01FK6

BrotherBear

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
I would like to replace the DVD drive of a Compaq Presario R3000 with a 9.5mm 2nd PATA/IDE to SATA HDD Hard Drive Caddy Tray Bay (please, see it at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4E01FK6529&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-All+Desktop+Hard+Drives-_-9SIA4E01FK6529&ef_id=U1CTggAAAYTnIRJ8:20140418033651:s), install an SSD drive in the drive caddy tray bay and make eventually that SSD drive the primary drive. Is that possible using the product I gave you the link for? I couldn't find who manufactures this drive caddy tray bay and therefore I was unable to find out if it's compatible with Presario R3000.

Solution
The easiest way is to just check the return policy and test it yourself. You can get an idea from measuring the height of the drive bay. Also, if you remove the DVD drive it should have specs printed on it somewhere and give you a good idea of what size it is. Most of the time it's just one screw and pulling it out. Google for the service manual of your laptop and it should give disassembly instructions.

Also, make sure your laptop runs at SATA III (6.0GBps) on the connection to the dvd drive. Often times motherboards will only support Sata I (1.5 GBps) on the DVD drive. This means that if you have a SATA III ssd it will only run at about a quarter of the speed it should. HWinfo will do this for you. I recommend putting the HD into the...

ttjambe

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
The easiest way is to just check the return policy and test it yourself. You can get an idea from measuring the height of the drive bay. Also, if you remove the DVD drive it should have specs printed on it somewhere and give you a good idea of what size it is. Most of the time it's just one screw and pulling it out. Google for the service manual of your laptop and it should give disassembly instructions.

Also, make sure your laptop runs at SATA III (6.0GBps) on the connection to the dvd drive. Often times motherboards will only support Sata I (1.5 GBps) on the DVD drive. This means that if you have a SATA III ssd it will only run at about a quarter of the speed it should. HWinfo will do this for you. I recommend putting the HD into the caddy and having the SSD in the internal drive bay.

Solution