[SOLVED] Can I restore a file while the disk is still being scanned?

May 27, 2020
Hi guys
I’m scanning a 4TB drive with DiskDrill and although it seems it’s working it takes forever! It’s been 2 months and the remaining time is 7 more months and I definitely want to try restoring some files before 2021.
Can I restore and then continue the scan from where it was without any risk? I don’t want to jeopardize the 15% scanned I already did. And yes, the disk is bad beyond a quick scan so it’s on a deep scan which as you know for this 4TB takes a lifetime.
Thanks for all your help!
L

Solution
Ideally you would create a sector based image of the problem drive with the option to skip bad sectors enabled so it doesn't get hung on them, and then run recovery from the image you created. You'll need a drive of equal or greater size to hold the image.

Many people use DDRescue
https://www.data-medics.com/forum/h...-with-bad-sectors-using-ddrescue-t133-90.html

USAFRet

Titan
Hi guys
I’m scanning a 4TB drive with DiskDrill and although it seems it’s working it takes forever! It’s been 2 months and the remaining time is 7 more months and I definitely want to try restoring some files before 2021.
Can I restore and then continue the scan from where it was without any risk? I don’t want to jeopardize the 15% scanned I already did. And yes, the disk is bad beyond a quick scan so it’s on a deep scan which as you know for this 4TB takes a lifetime.
Thanks for all your help!
L
2 months, and 15% complete?

That is absolutely a bad drive. DiskDrill is attempting to "recover" what is on there, or at least scan to see if it can "recover"?
If it is taking that long...you've waited far too long to try to save your data. I'd be surprised if it ever completes.

popatim

Titan
Where are you going to "Restore" them to?

You imply that they are being recovered which means they are on a separate recovery drive, so there is no need to restore anything; just open the recovered file that's on the recovery drive and see if its whole/readable.

May 27, 2020
2 months, and 15% complete?

That is absolutely a bad drive. DiskDrill is attempting to "recover" what is on there, or at least scan to see if it can "recover"?
If it is taking that long...you've waited far too long to try to save your data. I'd be surprised if it ever completes.
Hi,
It's doing deep scan and 15% reconstructed, not recovered, but it has a preview feature where I can actually see the pictures reconstructed so far. It's slow but it shows them.
Yes, somehow (maybe due to a windows update maybe the software) I felt like connecting it and give it a new try and it showed the drive, unusable but at least I could try recovering the files which is way more than before when it couldn't pass the mere identification of some storage unit present

May 27, 2020
Where are you going to "Restore" them to?

You imply that they are being recovered which means they are on a separate recovery drive, so there is no need to restore anything; just open the recovered file that's on the recovery drive and see if its whole/readable.
Hi,
No, it's simply scanning and letting me see what's being reconstructed. Actually my question is exactly if I could start recovering to a different drive while the scanning process is taking place being so excruciatingly slow

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,
No, it's simply scanning and letting me see what's being reconstructed. Actually my question is exactly if I could start recovering to a different drive while the scanning process is taking place being so excruciatingly slow
Doubtful.
What its found so far is basically the table of contents. Does not mean the actual "file" is recoverable.

And taking this long does not bode well.

popatim

Titan
Ideally you would create a sector based image of the problem drive with the option to skip bad sectors enabled so it doesn't get hung on them, and then run recovery from the image you created. You'll need a drive of equal or greater size to hold the image.

Many people use DDRescue
https://www.data-medics.com/forum/h...-with-bad-sectors-using-ddrescue-t133-90.html

Solution