[SOLVED] Can I restore a system image after new motherboard?

omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Hi all, I’m about to install a new motherboard. I’ve been reading as much as I can about hardware changes and the impact this has on the OS and system performance. I’m aware a lot of people recommend a fresh install of Windows 10, which I may do if I’m able to boot and access the contents of my existing drives.

Alternatively, I have a system image created with Macrium reflect. Is it possible to restore the image after a fresh OS install and resume from there or can I expect significant issues with performance?

Asus Prime B365 plus
i5-8600k cpu
16GB DDR4 RAM
Asus rtx 3070 dual
Neptune 240 cooler
Windows 10 64 bit
Corsair RM750i

Solution
An Image from Macrium is no different than moving the physical drive.

Strongly recommended against.

In doing that, there are 3 basic possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months

#2 and 3 are the most likely.

Clean install on the new hardware.

Also:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
New motherboard - means clean install.
If you try to avoid this, expect following issues:
boot mode compatibility - system doesnt boot,​
drivers compatibility - bsods, crashes, bad performance,​
windows activation issues - can not activate windows.​
Your macrium image is created for a different system (not for system with this new motherboard).
So clean install is the correct way.

What were specs of old system?
You could avoid reinstall only, if new board is similar enough with old one. Same model or at least same chipset.

USAFRet

Titan
An Image from Macrium is no different than moving the physical drive.

Strongly recommended against.

In doing that, there are 3 basic possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months

#2 and 3 are the most likely.

Clean install on the new hardware.

Also:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Solution

omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
New motherboard - means clean install.
If you try to avoid this, expect following issues:
boot mode compatibility - system doesnt boot,​
drivers compatibility - bsods, crashes, bad performance,​
windows activation issues - can not activate windows.​
Your macrium image is created for a different system (not for system with this new motherboard).
So clean install is the correct way.

What were specs of old system?
You could avoid reinstall only, if new board is similar enough with old one. Same model or at least same chipset.

The old motherboard was an Asus TUF H370 pro gaming, the socket was damaged and no longer works. I’ve bought an Asus Prime B365 plus as a replacement, I tried looking for one with a similar chipset but not easy these days.

I’m hoping I can at least boot into desktop and retrieve a few things before a fresh install. Much of what I need is also on the system image which was made recently. I have copies of important docs for my work on a usb, albeit not as up to date.

The old motherboard was an Asus TUF H370 pro gaming, the socket was damaged and no longer works. I’ve bought an Asus Prime B365 plus as a replacement
Well - they are similar enough. Could be possible to skip reinstall.
Probably will have to reinstall chipset drivers, then graphics, lan and audio drivers.

This is not recommended. But could work.
Still - expect problems with windows activation.

I’m hoping I can at least boot into desktop and retrieve a few things before a fresh install. Much of what I need is also on the system image which was made recently.
if you have trouble booting with the old OS image;

you should be able to restore the image to a separate disk after doing a fresh install of Windows.
you should also be able to remove this drive from boot sequence and recover your files then just format that drive.

omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
if you have trouble booting with the old OS image;

you should be able to restore the image to a separate disk after doing a fresh install of Windows.
you should also be able to remove this drive from boot sequence and recover your files then just format that drive.

The bulk of my files are on the hdd, the ssd is the boot drive and contains the OS as well as some programs and a few docs. Is it a simple case of restoring a specific partition to a drive in order to access what I need? Does the fact it’s part of a boot drive system image make a difference? As in, does that mean I sort of have 2 copies of OS in the system?

USAFRet

Titan
The bulk of my files are on the hdd, the ssd is the boot drive and contains the OS as well as some programs and a few docs. Is it a simple case of restoring a specific partition to a drive in order to access what I need? Does the fact it’s part of a boot drive system image make a difference? As in, does that mean I sort of have 2 copies of OS in the system?
An "image", made with what?
Macrium?

You can Mount that image directly, from within the MAcrium client.
Retrieve what files you need.

Files, not applications/programs.

The bulk of my files are on the hdd, the ssd is the boot drive and contains the OS as well as some programs and a few docs.
I have a system image created with Macrium reflect.
where is this system image stored?

if you have this system image stored elsewhere, other than your main SSD, just do like USAFret suggested;
once you've installed Windows again
install Macrium, mount the image, and copy those files wherever you want.

omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
where is this system image stored?

if you have this system image stored elsewhere, other than your main SSD, just do like USAFret suggested;
once you've installed Windows again
install Macrium, mount the image, and copy those files wherever you want.
Thanks, I’ll try this if Windows needs to be reinstalled. I was very close to completing the motherboard installation today but a couple of the AIO pump nuts are screwed on a bit too tight so I can’t remove the backplate without pliers. Sadly with lockdown the shops are closed so it’s off to Amazon for a set of pliers 😄