Can I return a card if I wanted another?

death orb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I want to buy another gtx 460 - so as I can have dual 460's in SLI.
However running this setup and using nvidia 3d @ 720p may cause problems,
or just be a pain to configure!

The alternative is a gtx 570 - and I would rather save money and use SLI.

These are my options-

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-msi-gtx-460-cyclone-3600mhz-gddr5-gpu-725mhz-shader-clock-1350mhz-336-cores-2x-dvi-i-mhdmi

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1280mb-msi-gtx-570-twin-frozr-iii-power-edition-oc-40nm-4000mhz-gddr5-gpu-770mhz-shader-1540mhz-plus

Please don't say "get this or that" but instead, can anyone tell me of a U.K. site
that allows returns - perhaps in exchange for credit or similar.

I would love to just try out bf3 or any other high spec game and see if it works.
If it doesn't in SLI then a bigger spend on a 570 would be justified.
Hope you can help with any experiences you have!

THANKS - ORB

I'd suggest that you compare the performance of your 2 options on any of the various GFX card testing sites. Returns are generally only for replacement of same item or if proven incompability and then subject to restocking charge.

death orb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
You do know I meant buying another 460 and then returning it "if" it doesn't sit well with nvidia 3d in sli?
I could also add that if nvidia say "sli capable" and I get problems with it - then perhaps a kind retailer would allow a return.
ps - at the prospect of getting a lot more money if I return it and get a 570, only a lesser retailer wouldn't see a benefit from such an arrangement!

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Amazon is a good place for returns and the like. They have always been gracious in accepting anything I want to send back (withing 30 days).

But I live in the states so just make sure the fine print says you can return it ;)

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
they wont accept return unless its faulty, however under distant selling regulations, you can return it up to 7 days after u purchased it if you are not happy with it. They charge for return shipping, thats all. If your outside 7 days then you cant return

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Erm, long story short, no. There isnt any were that you can try out a graphics card and see if its the one for you and take it back for exchange or credit.

No ones going to buy a 2nd hand card for full price and the stores aren't going to give you your money back for something with opened packaging that they can't sell on.

Its not a pair of jeans that you can try them on for 5 minutes at home and if they dont fit take them back.

Though maybe there would be a market for 2nd hand graphics cards using a trade in system like there is for games. I wouldn't use it and think its a dumb idea but maybe others would.

If people would use it though, it would take sales away from new graphics cards which mean Intel and AMD would make a loss (Intel and AMD wouldnt see a penny from 2nd hand sale) and there would be less research and development going into new graphics cards.

But if your asking these kinds of questions your obviously doubtful about SLI so just go for the 570.

Nobody really knows which graphics card is required for BF3 on high settings, a lot are saying a 580 is needed but if its not much more demanding then BC2 then a 570 would be fine.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Not sitting well with Nvidia 3d in SLI is not a fault. Though a "kind" retailer might allow a return I wouldnt risk it.

death orb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks people but as expected scan will accept a return if its notified within 7 days -
giving another 14 days of testing! Yes! They build systems and will use it in one of them - fully tested and working with warranty. Meanwhile I get my money back!

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

glad to hear, so it was under DSR as i suggested? I tried returning a card but they wouldnt allow it, so i read up and told them i wanted return under DSR. I got my money back