Question Can I return a CPU after performing a BIOS update?

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
The deal here is that I've ordered a specific motherboard I like which will be compatible with 13th gen Raptor Lake CPUs but has no BIOS flashback button for version updates and I suspect it won't have been updated to the latest version. As such I'd like to still get a 13th gen CPU if possible but would need to use a 12th gen to access the BIOS for the initial update. Would I be able to return a CPU to a retailer in such a scenario? Bare in mind I live in the UK so I don't know if policies differ here to US where I imagine a lot of posters here reside. Reason I ask this is because I recall Ryzen 3000 CPUs had this issue with motherboard compatability at some point. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Return, I don't think so. Why not just ask your nearby store to update the BIOS for your for a fee...? Ryzen is a different story whereby AMD themselves sent out a CPU as a care package, whereby you would need to return the processor once you performed a successful BIOS update to get you up and running on the Ryzen processor post Zen 1.

Reactions: KyaraM

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
Return, I don't think so. Why not just ask your nearby store to update the BIOS for your for a fee...? Ryzen is a different story whereby AMD themselves sent out a CPU as a care package, whereby you would need to return the processor once you performed a successful BIOS update to get you up and running on the Ryzen processor post Zen 1.
No independent computer stores where I live. It's online or drive up to the north or the midlands to find one or go to London. The UK doesn't really have a computer culture like elsewhere.

probably a good idea to check with a major retailer like Amazon.uk and check the return policy. as you mention there might be differences in return ship policies and restocking fees for opened items... with the holidays coming up return windows are generally extended and some policies relaxed

KyaraM

Admirable
Do you know somebody with an Alder Lake CPU you might be able to borrow, or ask for help? Family, friends, neighbors, anyone? Could you combine a trip to London or elsewhere with something else to make the journey worthwhile? Ask someone who is heading there to help you out?

I find it interesting there is no store like that closeby. Even the small town my parents live nearby has one of those here in Germany, and we aren't exactly world leaders in digital infrastructure...

All motherboards will come with the latest bios available at the time of manufacture. Only if you got very old stock would there be an issue.

What is the make/model of the motherboard you ordered?
If you go to the support site, look at the bios update list.
I bet you will see that 13th gen is on one of the updates as well as the date of the update.

For example, on my Z690 motherboard, the next gen bios update was released on 2022-07-04