[SOLVED] Can I reuse a hard drive after doing the Windows 10 "Reset this pc, remove everything" option?

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
I'm getting an SSD for this pc build, obviously im using it to install windows, but after that I need a hard drive for storage. Luckily, I do have this 1 TB hard drive in my prebuilt, and I was wondering if it's safe it reuse after resetting the pc and removing everything.

Solution
I'm getting an SSD for this pc build, obviously im using it to install windows, but after that I need a hard drive for storage. Luckily, I do have this 1 TB hard drive in my prebuilt, and I was wondering if it's safe it reuse after resetting the pc and removing everything.
You can't "reset" to a new drive.
That will be a full fresh install on this SSD.

During that "reset and remove everything", you can't choose which drive to apply it to.

So, you do the install with only the SSD connected.
Later, you reconnect the HDD and you can wipe it clean of ALL data.

For the HDD, commandline function diskpart, and the clean command will...

USAFRet

Titan

During that "reset and remove everything", you can't choose which drive to apply it to.

For the HDD, commandline function diskpart, and the clean command will wipe everything on it.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/format-hard-drive-command-prompt,37632.html

Solution

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020

For the HDD, commandline function diskpart, and the clean command will wipe everything on it.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/format-hard-drive-command-prompt,37632.html
Well, wouldn't resetting the pc and removing everything on the hard drive make it safe though? I don't have the SSD yet, I'm just trying to reset the pc anyways since I don't need to use it anymore. Why not do the "remove everything" option?

USAFRet

Titan
Well, wouldn't resetting the pc and removing everything on the hard drive make it safe though? I don't have the SSD yet, I'm just trying to reset the pc anyways since I don't need to use it anymore. Why not do the "remove everything" option?
Yes, but that "remove everything" does not get anything onto the SSD. And it does not remove the OS from the HDD.

Everything is on the HDD. You're getting an SSD (eventually).
What do you want the end state to be?

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
Yes, but that "remove everything" does not get anything onto the SSD. And it does not remove the OS from the HDD.

Everything is on the HDD. You're getting an SSD (eventually).
What do you want the end state to be?
Alright. I'm not trying to put anything on the SSD to begin with. I'm only installing windows to make windows faster, and maybe a couple of games. That's it.