[SOLVED] Can I reuse cables to avoid rewiring?

NMueller91

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
So my current PSU is a 7 year old PC Power and Cooling ModxStream 700w. I asked in the gaming forum about a crash I was having, and the two comments so far seem to point to the PSU as a cause. So I went out today and picked up a Corsair RMx 850w PSU from Best buy.

My question is, will it be possible for me to reuse the old cables, and just have to slot in the new modular PSU?

USAFRet

Titan
So my current PSU is a 7 year old PC Power and Cooling ModxStream 700w. I asked in the gaming forum about a crash I was having, and the two comments so far seem to point to the PSU as a cause. So I went out today and picked up a Corsair RMx 850w PSU from Best buy.

My question is, will it be possible for me to reuse the old cables, and just have to slot in the new modular PSU?
Cables from a modular PSU?
No.

mangaman

Honorable
Sorry to say, but modular PSU cables do not follow a single standard. PSU manufactures have different pin-outs for each cable header and vary from PSU to PSU. Even if it's from the same manufacturer, a Corsar CXm will have a different pin-out than a TXm, despite both being made my Corsair.

So short answer, no.

Gamers Nexus has a very good article explaining this.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2702-psa-on-mixing-modular-psu-cables-dont-do-it