[SOLVED] Can I reuse my 2 SSD's on my new build if I had OEM windows 10?

Xapy22

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Hello everyone,

I want to build a new pc. In my current pc I have two SSD's both are 250GB. One has an OEM version of Windows 10 and some other random stuff.. The other one has only games on it.

I want to order the new parts online the I was wondering if I could reuse both of my SSD's or atleast the one that is not C drive.

Thank you in advance and I hope you have a nice day :)

Solution
I will just buy another key for Windows either OEM or Retail I'm not sure yet so I suppose all I need to do is format both ssd's to factory settings and just put them on my new motherboard?

Honestly, unless you want to leave the OEM key with the old hardware, I'd try reusing it first. Link it to your MS account (as described), clean install on new hardware & attempt to activate/troubleshoot.
Best case, you have a valid, transferred Windows license. Worst case, you're not further behind & buy a new one.

The only drive you "need" to format, is the one with an OS on it. If the other is bulk storage, it should be plug & play. You can format at the point of clean installing anyway (once you've booted into install media), so...

Xapy22

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
You can reuse both, although if you want to reuse the Windows install, a clean install is definitely recommended - and you may/may not have success reactivating.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

I will just buy another key for Windows either OEM or Retail I'm not sure yet so I suppose all I need to do is format both ssd's to factory settings and just put them on my new motherboard?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Honestly, unless you want to leave the OEM key with the old hardware, I'd try reusing it first. Link it to your MS account (as described), clean install on new hardware & attempt to activate/troubleshoot.
Best case, you have a valid, transferred Windows license. Worst case, you're not further behind & buy a new one.

The only drive you "need" to format, is the one with an OS on it. If the other is bulk storage, it should be plug & play. You can format at the point of clean installing anyway (once you've booted into install media), so don't worry about that ahead of time.

Solution