Can i Reuse my OS from my old Dell?

goaway

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
guys im building a new computer in like a week.
can i use the OS from my old dell? i dont have my original cd's, but my parents own an isp and have plenty of copys of XP installation cd's and my dad said he thinks i can reuse my OS as long as i have the cd key from the side of my computer(it is there) but he is not for sure?

anybody have experience from doing this or have any idea?

The key may or may not work... you can try it, though. The only caveat is that you cannot use that same key on the old Dell. According to MS's license agreement, you would need to repurchase XP for the new computer and leave the old copy on the old Dell. However, as long as you only use that key with the new computer, you might get away with it.

goaway

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
i dont have the original cd's, that came with my actual computer, but im not planning on using my old dell, its getting salvaged by my brothers and sisters for upgrades to their computers. and im not planning on using the same cd key for 2 diff computers just on the new one to save me over a $100. and my dad says hes pretty sure they have dell recovery disks and windows install disks at the office.

the dell i bought like 5 years ago,