Question Can I Run 2560x1440p @ 120Hz? (43" Samsung UN43NU6950 Native 4k @ 60Hz)

nasch007

Distinguished
May 30, 2016
Greetings,

I searched the forums and the only thing I found relating to this TV was on Tom's guides and it was about the speakers.

So I decided to post here.

I have a 43" Samsung 4k TV I purchased from Costco: UN43NU6950 https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2018-uhd-smart-tv-nu6950.

My computer utilizes an MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor 8GB OC.

I run my desktop in 4k native resolution which is of course 3840x2160 @ 60Hz. There is one option above that, 4096, I believe, and when I choose that I am not sure anything is different (it just seems to stretch/scale the image in place, if that makes sense).

At 4k, I am usually above 60fps, sometimes dips to 40, or even 25 if it's an intensive scene (GTA V with lots of explosions at once). Obviously I'd like to do better...

I recently watched Linus Tech Tips where he compared 1080p, 1440p @ 120hz and 4k. The best "feeling" as far as input lag/response and fps seemed to be the 1440p@120hz. So of course I want to know if I can do that.

I'm running Windows 10, and in the settings there is no option for 2560x1440p.

In the nvidia control panel, the 2560x1440p is not listed.

I am wondering if this is because of the settings of the TV. Could something be restricting the available resolutions? How do I make sure I'm at 120Hz?

The settings on this TV aren't nearly as in depth as my last Samsung (P2770HD - R.I.P.) but I do see things like Aspect Ratio (only choices are 16:9 or Custom - Custom isn't always available), and Zoom... How do those come into play?

I've done a little research so I know there are suggestions like Edit the Source Icon on the TV's Input to "PC". Also, there is turning on "Game Mode". But I'm not sure what these do and if I should do one or both simultaneously. Also the adjustments in the nvidia control panel for scaling, Full Screen, Aspect Ration, None, and Perform Scaling on Display vs on GPU...

Looking for a little help here, from anyone with this family, or like TV monitor, or just more knowledge and experience, if they've been able to get to run 2560x1440p @ 120Hz, and how to verify.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The tv is 3840x2160. Any other res and you are scaling the image which will cause it to blur over several pixels and not be as clear. This may not be noticeable depending on how close you are viewing the tv. You can use any res by setting a custom res in ncp. Setting a res higher than native will not let you see a higher res since pixels are tiny lights. Setting a lower res would help with fps but may not look as good.

The tv is 60hz as that is the input signal it accepts. It can interpolate to 120hz but that blends frames together to make new frames which is a lot of processing by the tv and causes an enormous amount of input lag so only works with tv programs. You can try to oc it higher but usually displays hardly get much higher. Pc and game mode may help with ghosting and input lag.

Jul 17, 2019
as above, its a tv so it is what it says it is and simply cannot be adapted beyond the preset 'modes' which generally change nothing more than brightness and resolutions. There's a reason 4k TV's are insanely cheaper than 4k monitors. With running just a 1070 i would highly suggest just getting a decent 2k monitor unless you plan on spending excessive money on a graphics card to run 4k smoothly, in which case you would still need to look at a monitor to get the most out of it as TV's will just run at 60hz, have much higher latency and input lag and then make high end pc gaming almost pointless. Well maybe not pointless but its then an incredibly expensive console as it can't utilize the hardware you've spent good money on.

nasch007

Distinguished
May 30, 2016
The tv is 3840x2160. Any other res and you are scaling the image which will cause it to blur over several pixels and not be as clear. This may not be noticeable depending on how close you are viewing the tv. You can use any res by setting a custom res in ncp. Setting a res higher than native will not let you see a higher res since pixels are tiny lights. Setting a lower res would help with fps but may not look as good.

The tv is 60hz as that is the input signal it accepts. It can interpolate to 120hz but that blends frames together to make new frames which is a lot of processing by the tv and causes an enormous amount of input lag so only works with tv programs. You can try to oc it higher but usually displays hardly get much higher. Pc and game mode may help with ghosting and input lag.
Thank you for your quick response. I guess I got kind of excited, I saw http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201901/20190102114948285/ENG_US_KM2ATSCN-3.0.4.pdf pages 134-139 list some 60Hz plus modes. Many of them are smaller 4:3 but they do list 2560x1440 @ 120, as well as 1920x1080p @ 100, and @ 120Hz.

So basically, you're saying that 60Hz native 4k is where I should stay since anything else is scaling? Is there any difference in the Nvidia options for scaling on GPU vs. Display? If I do opt for a lower resolution would one of those 1080p @ 100/120 be a viable option? Or no because it's just adding frames in between? If I were to scale down to 2560x1440 @ 60Hz in game for instance, what should the scaling mode be? Also, does it matter if I report it as underscan or overscan?

Currently, my settings are 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz YCbCr 4:2:2 10-bit color sampling... is this the optimal setting for this TV/GPU combo?

Thanks again, for entertaining my questions.

nasch007

Distinguished
May 30, 2016
as above, its a tv so it is what it says it is and simply cannot be adapted beyond the preset 'modes' which generally change nothing more than brightness and resolutions. There's a reason 4k TV's are insanely cheaper than 4k monitors. With running just a 1070 i would highly suggest just getting a decent 2k monitor unless you plan on spending excessive money on a graphics card to run 4k smoothly, in which case you would still need to look at a monitor to get the most out of it as TV's will just run at 60hz, have much higher latency and input lag and then make high end pc gaming almost pointless. Well maybe not pointless but its then an incredibly expensive console as it can't utilize the hardware you've spent good money on.
It's my only option as it is wall mounted in my bedroom and having a smaller monitor underneath would look pretty wack. Input lag and latency aren't particularly a problem, I just was in search of an even better feeling/a few more fps. The rest of my system is powerful enough I get by, was just curious since this TV is advertised as 60/120Hz. I didn't know exactly how the 120Hz works in this situation.

Notice under the charts it says "The resolution may not be supported depending on the model. " because the manual is covering every tv in that series. If those options are not available then your model does not support it. As far as I can see, it's a 60hz input so 60hz is what it will do. 75hz on lower 4:3 res is normal for 60hz 1080p and higher panels but that would be ugly low res and not worth the hz increase. 4k/60 is probably the best you can do.

When in pc and game mode, it will automatically turn off interpolation and you will likely want to be in those modes. Connecting to a pc, period, should automatically disable it. Gpu vs display scaling shouldn't make any difference and many times it just reverts back to display. Scaling isn't necessarily a bad thing and many will choose lower res to get good fps. You just need to determine personally if you can notice the difference in image quality and if it matters. But if you can't maintain good fps, your input lag will suffer. 4:2:2 is color compression and it's likely dithering for 10 bit. You could try 8 bit 4:4:4 but which mode looks better will depend on the display's capabilities.

Reactions: nasch007

nasch007

Distinguished
May 30, 2016
Notice under the charts it says "The resolution may not be supported depending on the model. " because the manual is covering every tv in that series. If those options are not available then your model does not support it. As far as I can see, it's a 60hz input so 60hz is what it will do. 75hz on lower 4:3 res is normal for 60hz 1080p and higher panels but that would be ugly low res and not worth the hz increase. 4k/60 is probably the best you can do.

When in pc and game mode, it will automatically turn off interpolation and you will likely want to be in those modes. Connecting to a pc, period, should automatically disable it. Gpu vs display scaling shouldn't make any difference and many times it just reverts back to display. Scaling isn't necessarily a bad thing and many will choose lower res to get good fps. You just need to determine personally if you can notice the difference in image quality and if it matters. But if you can't maintain good fps, your input lag will suffer. 4:2:2 is color compression and it's likely dithering for 10 bit. You could try 8 bit 4:4:4 but which mode looks better will depend on the display's capabilities.
Thank you for such an informative response. I did notice that, I was hoping it didn't apply to my exact model LOL. I tried for fun using NCP to create a 2560x1440@ 120Hz resolution using CVT / CVT Blank timings. I flickers/jumps. I read that adjusting the Window Porch(?) and other timings could help but from what you've said here it doesn't seem at all worth the effort. I think I'll stick with maybe 4096x2160 for Desktop and 3840x2160 for games.

I learned something new... I have options for RGB444, Y422 and Y420. Also 12-bit, 10-bit, and 8-it. It seems like the best picture is going to come from 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Game Mode On, Input labelled as PC and PC icon and color settings to RGB444 8-bit, with HDR on and HDMI Black level to Low.

Thanks man you've been a big help!

TRENDING THREADS