Can I run a 1080 Ti with this

ginningfool97

Honorable
Dec 10, 2015
My current system-https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XYJGgL
I want to upgrade to this-https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6H5GN8415&cm_re=1080_ti-_-14-487-335-_-Product
Don't want to upgrade my PSU, just wandering thanks

Solution

Depends on the system like CPU and other items, but yeah 400watts sounds about right. that PSU has 100watts overhead. Also it is coming from Corsair so if it blows out your system they will pay for it. That is the great things about good brands. They stand behind the product. It should have safeties in it so the PSU is the only thing that goes. A lot of cheaper brands save the 5cents to do that and when it goes you are SOL.

Now I wouldn't run that PSU with 500watt full load 24/7, it will die very quickly. Those budget PSU really mean the number listed is the max. I've blown a few budget PSU this way. All of them the fuses went (as expected)...
Nothing wrong with that psu, 550w is plenty and its fairly decent.

What resolution and Hz are you gaming at? High fps gaming in modern AAA titles will see lower minimums and averages than a similar setup with a modern i7 however 4k 60Hz you will have no problems.

ginningfool97

Honorable
Dec 10, 2015

I'm trying to pick out a new Monitor and GPU to pair with

iamacow

Admirable

Eh you are pushing it. The 1080Ti FE takes 250watts under load. 150watts for the rest of the system get your 350. You will be fine if you don't overclock things. Some of those custom 1080ti takes 300-350watts. Like the Zotc Amp Extreme runs 350watts overclocked under load.

The power supply does not meet the manufacturers required size which is a recipe for nothing but trouble.

Kurtisdede

Commendable
Jun 10, 2017
I wouldn't trust the PSU on that one...
And sorry to say but IMO your build sucks. 8 gb ram and gtx 960 with $1000? Come on... You could have gotten a 970... That mobo and liquid CPU cooler cost soo much.

iamacow

Admirable

Depends on the system like CPU and other items, but yeah 400watts sounds about right. that PSU has 100watts overhead. Also it is coming from Corsair so if it blows out your system they will pay for it. That is the great things about good brands. They stand behind the product. It should have safeties in it so the PSU is the only thing that goes. A lot of cheaper brands save the 5cents to do that and when it goes you are SOL.

Now I wouldn't run that PSU with 500watt full load 24/7, it will die very quickly. Those budget PSU really mean the number listed is the max. I've blown a few budget PSU this way. All of them the fuses went (as expected) and not damage to the system.

Solution

ginningfool97

Honorable
Dec 10, 2015

Not exactly right. I've gradually upgraded not bought all the parts at once.