[SOLVED] Can i run a gtx 1650 on a pcie 2.0 mobo

Jun 25, 2020
Hi guys i want to replace my graphic card on my old computer for gtx 1650 / 1650 super but im a bit hesitant on power consumption since my system hasn't been upgraded in years.
My motherboard is a ASUS P5Q-E and my power source is a coolermaster extreme power plus 650w with 6 pin connectors.
As i understand i can only get 75w from pcie 2.0 and 75w from 6 pin totalling 150w which is maybe enough for idle but idk about load consuption.
I dont want to waste any money if i have to just opt to build a new system from scratch.

Solution
Your biggest issue is not the power, 1650 does not need much, but your old motherboard and CPU. Older motherboards can have issues running newer cards. Before trying the video card make sure you are on the latest BIOS. Unless you are planning on moving this video card into a newer system I don't think it's worth spending the money on it with your current setup. A used $150 business tower will be much faster and as long as you get one with a standard case size and motherboard power connection you can move your PSU into it to run the card. Something with a 4th gen or newer i5 would be good.
Your biggest issue is not the power, 1650 does not need much, but your old motherboard and CPU. Older motherboards can have issues running newer cards. Before trying the video card make sure you are on the latest BIOS. Unless you are planning on moving this video card into a newer system I don't think it's worth spending the money on it with your current setup. A used $150 business tower will be much faster and as long as you get one with a standard case size and motherboard power connection you can move your PSU into it to run the card. Something with a 4th gen or newer i5 would be good.

Solution
Jun 25, 2020
Hey man thanks for your reply!
I've done some more research and found a couple of consumption tests which led me to the same conclusion of not needing to worry about power issues.
Regarding the rest of the system, i am indeed planning on building a new one from scratch with that same card but in a few months since my budget atm is kinda low. The main thing for me was to make my current system operable since my current gpu died, until i can build a new one. I'll make sure the latest bios is installed (i think it is) and hope everything runs smoothly.
Thanks again.