Question Can I run a new motherboard to a TV with VGA compatibility with a DVI-D to VGA cable?

Jan 29, 2020
Hello, new PC builder here. Just recently bought all the components for a setup I've been planning pretty much my entire life.
Here are the components:
  • CPU: Intel i7-6700K
  • GPU: GeForce RTX 2060
  • Motherboard: MSI b360
  • RAM: Corsair 2x8gb
(I think those are the most important)
After sufficient struggles and research, I managed to build the darn thing. It starts up, and runs POST just fine from what I can tell, but there is no display being shown from my graphics card to my TV (using an HDMI cable). I was told that couldn't work since the GPU didn't have its drivers installed, so I bought a DVI-D to HDMI adapter to try and run it on the same TV but this time from the on-board graphics, but still without any success. I was then told that it most likely couldn't run because graphics may not display through HDMI without the right drivers as well.
Luckily, I noticed that my TV downstairs has VGA compatibility, so I was wondering if maybe the onboard graphics would properly work on that one with a proper DVI-D to VGA cable? At least so I could install windows on it and install the GPU's drivers? Could the TV be the problem perhaps? Would I need an actual computer monitor instead of a TV for it to work? Or could something else be the issue?

Thanks to anyone who replies to this thread!

Jan 29, 2020
DVI-D is digital signal only and VGA is analogue. You will need to use an active DVI-D to VGA adaptor, a passive adaptor won't work.

DVI-I is carries both an analogue and digital signal, so in that specific case, you can use a passive adaptor
Thank you. I was checking Amazon for some nice deals and found an Active DVI-D to VGA adaptor like you said for roughly 10 bucks. I'll be buying it and trying it on my TV downstairs