[SOLVED] Can I run a NH-D15 without the second fan?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

So I'm planning to buy some Trident Z Neo RAM which, of course, isn't as small as my current Corsair Vengeance LPX. If I remove the fan that hangs above my RAM slots from my NH-D15 in order to fit the new RAM, how much cooling performance will I lose?

Solution
Case airflow is very good and the top front fan essentially blows on the CPU cooler.

I am turning my NH-D15 into a NH-D15S by doing this. That should still be good enough to cool an undervolted 3900X, no?

Should be no problemo... cooling a 3900X will be an easy task for the NH-D15. Even with a single fan.
Shouldn't make much of a difference. The central fan pulls fresh air through the first heatsink and exhausts it through the second one... you can as well say it does most of the work. The additional fans will help with airflow through those heatsinks.

In the grand scheme of things it should still perform very well... I wouldn't worry too much. You'll see slightly higher temps with a single fan setup... the difference will come down to the case airflow too.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Shouldn't make much of a difference. The central fan pulls fresh air through the first heatsink and exhausts it through the second one... you can as well say it does most of the work. The additional fans will help with airflow through those heatsinks.

In the grand scheme of things it should still perform very well... I wouldn't worry too much. You'll see slightly higher temps with a single fan setup... the difference will come down to the case airflow too.
Case airflow is very good and the top front fan essentially blows on the CPU cooler.

I am turning my NH-D15 into a NH-D15S by doing this. That should still be good enough to cool an undervolted 3900X, no?

Last edited by a moderator:

dimtodim

Reputable

i have same cpu only different is cpu cooler. i have dark rock pro 4...i suggest u pbo off, offset voltage for -0.1...i do only that i tray use
1usmus Power Plan for AMD Ryzen
buy my motherboard dont have
  • AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
  • PPC Adjustment = PState 0
so without that cant work...if u have that option in bios try that

for power plan i use balance....
hit score CB R20 7216...without any OC...
my temp without any load is around 35C according ryzen master

D

Deleted member 2720853

i have same cpu only different is cpu cooler. i have dark rock pro 4...i suggest u pbo off, offset voltage for -0.1...i do only that i tray use
1usmus Power Plan for AMD Ryzen
buy my motherboard dont have
  • AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
  • PPC Adjustment = PState 0
so without that cant work...if u have that option in bios try that

for power plan i use balance....
hit score CB R20 7216...without any OC...
my temp without any load is around 35C according ryzen master
I didn't ask for CPU settings, I already got that sorted, just want to know if the cooler will still perform fine

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
The second fan helps exhaust the hot air while the first fan blowinto the heatsink. Then your cases rear exhaust fan also blow out to push hot air out of the case. I don't know why you want to do this. Just set a fan curve on the second fan so it stays silent and does a ok job of pushing out the hot air and the rear exhaust fan helping and push out the hot air out of the case. This was a weird post Im baffled why you want to do this but I guess you have your reasons. Also the heatsink on that thing is so big and well made and quality you can easily get away with one fan, but what is your reasoning behind this?👶🎗✝

D

Deleted member 2720853

Should be fine as others have said but can't you move the fan up a few fins or won't that allow room for the side panel?
I can probably move the fan up (case has 190mm cpu cooler clearance) but it's going to bother me to no end.

what is your reasoning behind this?👶🎗✝
Look above. I'm not even sure if I have the clearance to raise the fan after I install my new RAM, and even if I do it's going to look awful and bother me so I'm better off removing it.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I can probably move the fan up (case has 190mm cpu cooler clearance) but it's going to bother me to no end.

Look above. I'm not even sure if I have the clearance to raise the fan after I install my new RAM, and even if I do it's going to look awful and bother me so I'm better off removing it.
Oh ok I understand now I hear you. One tip def set a fan curve on that single fan so when CPU heats up during intense gaming sessions the fan spins faster as temp goes up. As long as you have a rear exhaust fan your hot air will still be pushed out of the case. Good Luck my friend.✝🎗👶

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm also for performance but I dunno about this one chief
It's ~fine. Hakuna Matata!
If you seriously run into a cooling issue on the 3900X from removing one fan off a NH-D15, then you've got other issues.

The 3900X is no 9900K. Even with the crazy spikes Ryzen 3000 is known for now, it's still a cooler chip overall. Pretty nuts considering it's 12c/24t...
The 3950X is an even cooler cpu!

I wouldn't even think to air cool a 9900K though. It might be ok for the Average Joe as long as it's a D15 or Assassin 3. There will be no real OC headroom though.
The 10-6, 10-7, and 10-9 are actually fine on air, thanks - or perhaps no thanks, depending on POV - to Intel's conservative power limits. Remove/raise those limits though, and the 10-7 and 10-9 are definitely off that list.

D

Deleted member 2720853

It's ~fine. Hakuna Matata!
If you seriously run into a cooling issue on the 3900X from removing one fan off a NH-D15, then you've got other issues.

The 3900X is no 9900K. Even with the crazy spikes Ryzen 3000 is known for now, it's still a cooler chip overall. Pretty nuts considering it's 12c/24t...
The 3950X is an even cooler cpu!

I wouldn't even think to air cool a 9900K though. It might be ok for the Average Joe as long as it's a D15 or Assassin 3. There will be no real OC headroom though.
The 10-6, 10-7, and 10-9 are actually fine on air, thanks - or perhaps no thanks, depending on POV - to Intel's conservative power limits. Remove/raise those limits though, and the 10-7 and 10-9 are definitely off that list.
By removing a fan off the NH-D15 I'm essentially turning it into a NH-D15S correct? I saw one of your posts mentioning that the NH-D15S is basically the same as the NH-D15 performance wise.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see no difference lmao, thought I was going to have to raise it a lot. Surprised my case even has the clearance for it.
Pure Base 500 DX: 190mm of cpu air cooler clearance. This is plenty of space for pretty much all air coolers.
NH-D15: 165mm, with a 32mm gap for low profile ram
Trident Z: 44mm
[We want to avoid the fan frame and the ram making contact, because the socket can actually be damaged by vibrations over time - at least a 1mm gap.]
44-32 = 12 + 1 = 13
165 + 13 = 178mm
You still have some 12mm of space left.

Now, if you had those Corsair Dominator(55mm) and Vengeance Pro(51mm) modules, it could've been a different story. Those things are ridiculously tall.
The front fan might not fit - the fan clips can only be raised up so much, after all.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Yes, I made sure there's space between the fan and the RAM modules. There is plenty of space and it still hasn't reached full clearance. The middle fan brings airflow over the RAM sticks too which is nice. Loving this cooler.

I'm just glad I was able to get anything other than Corsair Vengeance LPX lol.

Reactions: Phaaze88