Question can I run an external PCIe expansion system with a Radeon RX 580 8GB on a 12volt power supply

May 10, 2019
I am in the process of building a mobile - external PCIe expansion system that would be powered off of deep cycle lead acid batteries - yet my knowledge of electronics is limited

It would be great if one existed - yet - so far my research has not proven successful

does anybody have some insight

I am in the process of building a mobile - external PCIe expansion system that would be powered off of deep cycle lead acid batteries - yet my knowledge of electronics is limited

It would be great if one existed - yet - so far my research has not proven successful

does anybody have some insight

Well the first thing you are going to need to ascertain is what the maximum current output of the battery you are using is- as graphics cards can pull a fair but of current flat out.

Also- what are you using to regulate the supply? The voltage direct from a battery is less than stable and not suitable to plum directly into a graphics board (even though nominally they run on 12V) as fully charged a 12V battery may register 14+ volts, and as it discharges the output is likely to drop. A good quality voltage regulation circuit can compensate for this and ensure a steady 12V output for the full charge of the battery...