[SOLVED] Can I run an RTX 2070?

Apr 14, 2020
So I’m currently debating whether or not to upgrade to a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8GB but I’m not sure if my setup would support it.

Right now my specs are:
-700W Aerocool 80+ psu
-Intel Core i5 6600 Quad Core cpu
-ASUS B150M Pro Gaming motherboard
-GeForce GTX 1060 6GB gpu

If you need any more details on my setup to inform me whether it would work or not just comment and I’ll respond. Thank you!

Solution
RAM: 2133MHz
I’m looking for an overall upgrade as I also want to stream and edit and whatnot. Maybe even get into VR.
Usually it’s my cpu that hits high percentages.
For modern AAA games, streaming and VR you are going to need a new cpu, a quad core/thread won’t cut it. You are also going to want faster RAM, 2133mhz is going to hurt performance. I would put a new cpu/motherboard/RAM combination ahead of a gpu upgrade. At least if you have a strong cpu and weaker gpu you can still get good FPS by turning down game settings, this doesn’t work when you have a weak cpu.
Apr 14, 2020
What resolution and Hz is your monitor? What RAM do you have?

Depending on the game you may be limited by your cpu. Some of the newer AAA games don’t do well on quad core/thread CPU’s regardless of gpu used.
I have a 1080p 60Hz monitor and 16GB DDR4 RAM (8GB ASUS and 8GB Corsair vengeance)
I’m looking to run Rainbow Six Siege at mostly low/medium settings at a steady 144+ FPS and a few more similar titles.

If i need a better cpu I’m probably going to upgrade to an i5 9600k.
I’ll also most likely upgrade to an 144Hz 1080p monitor.

Last edited:
Your RAM, what speed is it?

If that’s the only game you care about then I’m surprised you can’t run how you want already, it’s not that demanding. I also see little point aiming for 144fps when only using a 60Hz monitor. Anyway, if you monitor your cpu and gpu usage in that game what component is running mainly at 95%-100% usage.

Reactions: NarcoZe
Apr 14, 2020
Your RAM, what speed is it?

If that’s the only game you care about then I’m surprised you can’t run how you want already, it’s not that demanding. I also see little point aiming for 144fps when only using a 60Hz monitor. Anyway, if you monitor your cpu and gpu usage in that game what component is running mainly at 95%-100% usage.
I’m looking for an overall upgrade as I also want to stream and edit and whatnot. Maybe even get into VR.

For modern AAA games, streaming and VR you are going to need a new cpu, a quad core/thread won’t cut it. You are also going to want faster RAM, 2133mhz is going to hurt performance. I would put a new cpu/motherboard/RAM combination ahead of a gpu upgrade. At least if you have a strong cpu and weaker gpu you can still get good FPS by turning down game settings, this doesn’t work when you have a weak cpu.

Reactions: NarcoZe
Solution
Apr 14, 2020
Thanks a lot for the help. Really helped me decide. I’ll upgrade my motherboard to a z270 ASUS and an my cpu to an i5 9600k. My current motherboard has a max memory frequency of 2133mhz however the ram can go to above 3000mhz I believe so I’ll upgrade that later. Once again thanks for the help.

A Z290 won’t run a 9600k, you would need ideally a Z390 but a Z370 with BIOS updated would work. Also the current i5’s with only 6 cores and 6 threads are not a good buy for the money, you are much better off with Ryzen 3600/3600x or if budget allows a 3700x especially as you want to stream. If you want to go Intel then only consider an i7 or i9, Intel just doesn’t make sense at the lower tiers. You may also find your RAM won’t run at rated speed of 3000mhz, running mixed kits is not advisable and sometimes prevents the system being stable at rated higher speeds. You can try but don’t be surprised if it’s not stable.