Question Can I run Doom on APU with 8Gb RAM total?

Foebane72

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
My old PC ran Doom on 8Gb with a 2Gb graphics card, but I am wondering if the APU can share memory for both graphics and everything else for Doom and be within 8Gb?

My spec is:
Intel Core i3 8100 with UHD 630 graphics
8Gb DDR4 2400MHz
250Gb SSD

Will the extra memory requirements spill over into the pagefile on the SSD, or just flat out run out of memory?

Also, I'm using Vulkan on Doom - does that cost more memory than OpenGL?

From the little bit of reading I did, it seems like it runs ok on the newer ryzen apu, but there's little mention of anyone using Intel integrated. If your old pc ran it, you should still have a copy of the game, no? Can't hurt to try. You may be stuck on low settings with maybe 20ish fps, but it'll probably run.

It might be worth it to find a cheap used card if your budget can swing it.

I run it with vulkan, it seems to run it better that way. But I have no idea about wether or not it will use more resources.

Foebane72

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
I created a custom resolution for Doom to run on the UHD 630 at 960x540, or specifically, a quarter of 1080p resolution. I restored both sets of video settings to default and set this resolution and left everything else alone (the game seems to scan my system and set optimal default settings, most of which were Medium) and the results look reasonable for integrated graphics, and quite playable.