Question can i run GTX 1070 8GB on my 500W FSP SP500-A PSU?

Jun 10, 2022
Hello friends!
I wanted to ask if i can use 1070 on my 500W PSU cuz on sites it says 1070 needs 450W max
also my PSU box is White/Grey and on back of the box it says it 230VCA where the power cable go in i have been using it for 3-4y with 970 4gb and had no issues till now so am i safe?
i dont got any spare money for a new PSU atm i got enough for GPU only an i really need a new one :/

also i noticed it called 500W FSP SP500-A on it is that bad or decent (i just need it to run my GPU until i can can get a new one at some point :/

Hello friends!
I wanted to ask if i can use 1070 on my 500W PSU cuz on sites it says 1070 needs 450W max
also my PSU box is White/Grey and on back of the box it says it 230VCA where the power cable go in i have been using it for 3-4y with 970 4gb and had no issues till now so am i safe?
i dont got any spare money for a new PSU atm i got enough for GPU only an i really need a new one :/

also i noticed it called 500W FSP SP500-A on it is that bad or decent (i just need it to run my GPU until i can can get a new one at some point :/

I've had a look online, from what I can see that PSU only supports 1 x 6pin PCIe power connector, however a GTX 1070 needs at least 1 x 8pin connector (for the reference model) and many of the higher performance after market models may need more than this.

You might be able to get it to work with an adapter but I don't think I'd recommend it - that looks like a pretty cheap budget unit so probably not worth risking pushing it too hard as if it fails it could kill the new cards and / or the rest of your machine.

Reactions: Sova001
Hello friends!

With 34 amps on the +12 volt you only have 400 watts to work with, not 500. The best recommendation may be to upgrade the power supply first to a newer more powerful model and add a new GPU later.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Apart from things like usb, drives and motherboard logic circuitry and ram, almost everything else depends on the 12v rail for power. And it's all the power hungry stuff like fans, cpu, gpu. The fact that a 500w psu only feels like it has 75w to spare for a 6pin pcie for the gpu says everything you need to know about that psu.

A decent 500w psu will have 2x 6pin at a minimum, usually a 6pin and 6+2pin.

Do not use an adapter. If the 1070 won't run on what the psu has, the psu clearly is not designed to be able to power it, regardless of whether it's 500w or 700w.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Reactions: Sova001
Jun 10, 2022
I've had a look online, from what I can see that PSU only supports 1 x 6pin PCIe power connector, however a GTX 1070 needs at least 1 x 8pin connector (for the reference model) and many of the higher performance after market models may need more than this.

You might be able to get it to work with an adapter but I don't think I'd recommend it - that looks like a pretty cheap budget unit so probably not worth risking pushing it too hard as if it fails it could kill the new cards and / or the rest of your machine.
it has 8 tho 6+2 but i changer to BeQuiet SP 8 500W 80+ White
so me now good?

Jun 10, 2022
Apart from things like usb, drives and motherboard logic circuitry and ram, almost everything else depends on the 12v rail for power. And it's all the power hungry stuff like fans, cpu, gpu. The fact that a 500w psu only feels like it has 75w to spare for a 6pin pcie for the gpu says everything you need to know about that psu.

A decent 500w psu will have 2x 6pin at a minimum, usually a 6pin and 6+2pin.

Do not use an adapter. If the 1070 won't run on what the psu has, the psu clearly is not designed to be able to power it, regardless of whether it's 500w or 700w.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M
no adaptor my friend it has all i need i can connect it
it 6+2 pins also i got a new PSU now it same but from "BeQuiet 500W SP 8 80+ White"
is that PSU good that i mentioned?