[SOLVED] Can I run gtx 950 evga 2 fan FTW on Dell 300 watt psu (b300nm00)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2020
I have a Dell 660 mini tower
I3 3220
1 hard drive
1 DVD
Power supply is 300 watt Dell stock
I don't want to upgrade it right now because I don't have the cash I just bought the gtx 950
The power supply doesn't have the 8 pin for the 950 but it has 2 extra 15 data power pin which I can get an adapter to allow me to use the 8 pin and hook up the gtx 950
My question is if I did that would it affect the card ? Would it affect the motherboard , would it run ?
On this site (https://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/Nvidia/900_Series/GeForce_GTX_950_2GB/2455/Compatible_PSUs) the compatible psu with the gtx 950 one of them is dell b240nm00 which is 240 watt psu so does that mean I can run it on the 300 watt ?
Thank you

Solution
The 8-pin on the PSU you linked plugs into the motherboard, not the video card. The 8-pin for the GTX 950 can draw up to 150 watts plus the slot on the mother board where you plug the video card into supplies 75 watts. That's a total of 225 watts available for the video card. It may not draw that much but this is what the video card maker is telling you to supply it with. When you add wattage for the CPU, memory, drives and mother board it will likely go beyond what the PSU can deliver. The label on the Dell b300nm00 lists the +12 volt at only 216 watts total with higher peaks for only 1 second. This is not a good situation for you to use that video card and power supply together.
I have a Dell 660 mini tower
I3 3220
1 hard drive
1 DVD
Power supply is 300 watt Dell stock
I don't want to upgrade it right now because I don't have the cash I just bought the gtx 950
The power supply doesn't have the 8 pin for the 950 but it has 2 extra 15 data power pin which I can get an adapter to allow me to use the 8 pin and hook up the gtx 950
My question is if I did that would it affect the card ? Would it affect the motherboard , would it run ?
On this site (https://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/Nvidia/900_Series/GeForce_GTX_950_2GB/2455/Compatible_PSUs) the compatible psu with the gtx 950 one of them is dell b240nm00 which is 240 watt psu so does that mean I can run it on the 300 watt ?
Thank you
Necessity of an adapter is an indication the power supply is not up to the job. Also, you don't know if the Dell PSU can even provide 300 watts, which is unlikely. Posting a pic of the PSU label would help to see what it can actually deliver. Did you open the case and measure from the back to the drive tray to see if the GTX 950 would even fit? As a general rule, adapters are a bad idea.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Jan 2, 2020
This is my Power Supply the 300 watt
i would like to run it for a week or two till i get the money and buy a new psu, i didnt try to fit it in the mini tower yet but i have seen people do it online so that wouldnt be a problem
whats confusing is that Nividia said that a 240 watt power supply is compatible with the GTX 950
(https://www.zcobanija.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=318273 )
so what does that mean ??
so to determine if the PSU is good or not it has nothing to do with watt ? is not then what ?
thanks ^^

The 8-pin on the PSU you linked plugs into the motherboard, not the video card. The 8-pin for the GTX 950 can draw up to 150 watts plus the slot on the mother board where you plug the video card into supplies 75 watts. That's a total of 225 watts available for the video card. It may not draw that much but this is what the video card maker is telling you to supply it with. When you add wattage for the CPU, memory, drives and mother board it will likely go beyond what the PSU can deliver. The label on the Dell b300nm00 lists the +12 volt at only 216 watts total with higher peaks for only 1 second. This is not a good situation for you to use that video card and power supply together.

Reactions: Torbenzex2002
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.