joshuaqueen

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
I am having a hard time getting any ram to work with my set up (At speed). It's bugging me and I am not sure what I am missing. Right now I have z270 Asus Prime, Crucial 3600mhz DDR4 {2x8gb} and a core i5 7600k. I had 3k mhz before and couldn't get it to behave at rated speeds, the crucial won't even work at 3600. I can get it to turn on, but then it will BSOD after no time. I updated the BIOS to get it to even boot to Windows, now that it does, it still won't behave and let me actually use the PC. Instead it will load windows but if I start using it, it will BSOD.

Corsair LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C16 1.35V Desktop Memory - Black (CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18)
Asus Prime z270-A mobo
Intel Core i5 7600k

I am using the XMP profile. I have also allowed the mobo to do an OC via the OC tool (too lazy to figure it out myself as it's been a long while since I bothered to OC).
In the past I tried upping the voltage a tiny bit to see if it would help, but it didn't.
I've replaced my old Trident-Z ram (3k mhz) thinking it was the RAM that was the issue, but now I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

Try running your CPU at stock speeds, and disabling MCE (multi core enhancement)

If it still BSOD's, it's most likely the CPU that can't handle the speed. Because that kit is rated for 3600mhz so it has to run that speed guaranteed.

Perhaps the motherboard is running subtimings to tight? not sure. If the computer auto restarts if it fails to boot, let it keep restarting a few timings. Perhaps the memory training will get the right timings.

Reactions: joshuaqueen

joshuaqueen

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Try running your CPU at stock speeds, and disabling MCE (multi core enhancement)

If it still BSOD's, it's most likely the CPU that can't handle the speed. Because that kit is rated for 3600mhz so it has to run that speed guaranteed.

Perhaps the motherboard is running subtimings to tight? not sure. If the computer auto restarts if it fails to boot, let it keep restarting a few timings. Perhaps the memory training will get the right timings.

I will try that and you let know how it goes, but for the sake of troubleshooting, I was able to easily clock it at 3200mhz, which is 200mhz better than my last 2 sticks that would not cooperate at those speeds. I'd think this indicates it may not be the cpu unless the timings/speeds differ that much (maybe different ram mfg?).

Thanks for the help. Ill let you know how it goes.