Question Can I run my pc in only 440gb SSD

Mar 19, 2022
Can I run my PC in only 440GB Crucial BX500 SATA 2.5 SSD in which windows 10 and everything along with Games ike GTA5 and High storage consuming software will install and I have no other drive other than that
It is okay for the health of the SSD or should I consider a Hard Drive with it

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It is doable. Considering that you don't fill your OS drive with plethora of games.

E.g my OS drive is filled with 361 GB of stuff, including Win10 OS. Whereby 241 GB are installed Steam games. In total, my OS drive is 2 TB.

Personally, i'd keep at least 20% of max capacity free. So, for your 440 GB drive, keep at least 88 GB free.

Mar 19, 2022
It's fine as long as your SSD has at least 40% available space on it.
I mean what do you think about the space after installing Windows 10 along with backup
It is doable. Considering that you don't fill your OS drive with plethora of games.

E.g my OS drive is filled with 361 GB of stuff, including Win10 OS. Whereby 241 GB are installed Steam games. In total, my OS drive is 2 TB.

Personally, i'd keep at least 20% of max capacity free. So, for your 440 GB drive, keep at least 88 GB free.
Thanks sir for ur reply
What u would have done for this particular option
1tb HDD + 256gb SSD
Or
512gb SSD(440gb)

I mean what do you think about the space after installing Windows 10 along with backup
Thanks sir for ur reply
1tb HDD + 256gb SSD
Or
512gb SSD(440gb)

So you actually have a 512GB SSD with 440GB available, right?

It's perfectly fine for gaming.

To make things simpler, your data (inc. Windows) should not excess 300GB on the SSD.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
1tb HDD + 256gb SSD
Or
512gb SSD(440gb)

Tough call and based on how big of a data hoarder you have.

Based on this peculiar option, i'd say you have a laptop.

Now, for my own personal use, i would've gone with 256 GB OS + 1 TB HDD. Since i do a lot of photo editing and i need space to hold my projects + homemade videos and music files (hence 1 TB HDD), while on 256 GB SSD, i can house OS and 1-2 games that i play.

If you do not need loads of space, 512 GB SSD only is better option, especially since you can always add more storage later on, and HDDs are cheap.

after installing Windows 10 along with backup

Depending what kind of Win backup you do. If it's only "My Documents", then it can fit onto same 512 GB SSD. But if you do full drive image, then consider what space you've taken up, and multiply it with two. For full image backup, 2nd drive is better, since you'd need far more space.

That's only for the Windows disk, I think it's usually 256GB or 512GB.

If we use a large SSD for storage, of course we should use the space as much as possible.
Yes, windows/boot disk, that+s how much windows need for comfortable work although storage disks should have some free space if there's no dedicated over provisioning partition which is needed to recycle cells and even wear and so prolong life.

USAFRet

Titan
Can I run my PC in only 440GB Crucial BX500 SATA 2.5 SSD in which windows 10 and everything along with Games ike GTA5 and High storage consuming software will install and I have no other drive other than that
It is okay for the health of the SSD or should I consider a Hard Drive with it
This BX500 is a "500GB" device?

If so, it is fine.
Just don't fill it up past 400GB.

Or have you created some partitions to supposedly split things out?

even 10% free space should be relatively fine, drive will slowdown on writes...but with low space you wont need fast writes anyway, read speed wont change which you need for games, and for windows? as long you have plenty of free ram, windows will run fine aswell
some time ago ive tested 250gb samsung 850 (sata) and didnt notice anyting wrong with windows happening with 10% free space (no overprovisioning)

USAFRet

Titan
even 10% free space should be relatively fine, drive will slowdown on writes...but with low space you wont need fast writes anyway, read speed wont change which you need for games, and for windows? as long you have plenty of free ram, windows will run fine aswell
some time ago ive tested 250gb samsung 850 (sata) and didnt notice anyting wrong with windows happening with 10% free space (no overprovisioning)
As a rule of thumb, I just use round numbers.

250GB drive, don't fill it past 200GB.
500GB drive, don't fill it past 400GB.
1TB drive, not past 800GB.