[SOLVED] Can I run my PSU without a fan? If not, why do I see PSU fans off most of the time?

s355

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
How will it overheat? The PSU isn't turning on the fan because it isn't needed and I never saw it spin or light up.

Solution
-----------------------------
http://www.rmac.kingwin.com/products/cate/power_supplies/manual/mach1_series/mach1_user_manual.pdf

Built-in heat dissipating fan control system for adjustable rpm along with change in temperaturein the power supply and extended service life of the fan for minimum noise, more efficiency and reduced power consumption.

Either it is not getting warm enough to spin up the fan, or it is broken.
As far as I can tell based on the specs from the product page that fan is not automatically controlled, but rather has a setting for white LED, blue LED, or off.
I dont see any indication the fan has a passive mode, meaning its either been turned off this whole time, or it simply is broken.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Kingwin has PSUs that have fans that run all the time, fans that have a smart mode, and even a fanless model. It's really impossible to give an answer to a PSU question when you don't give information about the exact PSU. If I need a part for my car, I need to know the details, I can't just tell the shop that "it's a Subaru."

Reactions: digitalgriffin

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Oh lord, you're not actually planning to take a fan out of your PSU are you? I have to ask given there are three previous threads of you trying to use PC fans in odd ways.
ah that's how we all start, first thing you do is take a fan out of a power supply then you find yourself powering a Pi with 3 potatoes or making an oven that heats up your chicken wings to 500 ºC but also leaves the entire building without power

Reactions: Krotow
@DSzymborski Can the need for a PSU heatsink be removed by bridging the PSU heatsink to the chipset heatsink?

It's obvious you don't have much experience here. Step away from the psu. Seriously. You can be severely electrocuted by residual energy in the capacitors. It might even be fatal.

Leave everything as is. Don't crack open the psu. Read the specs for the mach 1 and see if it is semi passive on the fan. It might even include a fan rom chart in the docs.

My seasonic focus plus platinum keeps the fan off to about 60% power. As I have a 850 watt gpu and I don't consume more than 400 watts it always stays off

While you can run a semi passive PSU without a fan at a lower wattages, if the fan needs to spin and there is no fan, you run the risk of the psu shutting off or blowing up. Given the brand of that unit, I would suspect the latter.

Basically, if you want a psu to be passively cooled, buy a passive psu.

USAFRet

Titan
http://www.rmac.kingwin.com/products/cate/power_supplies/manual/mach1_series/mach1_user_manual.pdf

Built-in heat dissipating fan control system for adjustable rpm along with change in temperaturein the power supply and extended service life of the fan for minimum noise, more efficiency and reduced power consumption.

Either it is not getting warm enough to spin up the fan, or it is broken.

Solution