[SOLVED] Can I run my RAM underclocked, because I'm an idiot?

Dec 22, 2020
I built my computer recently, but I think I messed up on my RAM purchase.

Motherboard: Asus AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) Mobo Link
CPU: AMD Ryzen5 3600 (which is a third gen) CPU Link
RAM: DDR4 3600 Memory Link

Under my Mobo Memory Specs, with a 3rd gen processor, it doesn't actually support DDR4 3600
(3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Processors: DDR4 4400(O.C.)/ 3466(O.C.)/ 3400(O.C.)/ 3200(O.C.)/ 3000(O.C.)/ 2933(O.C.)/ 2800(O.C.)/ 2666/ 2400/ 2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory)

I must've looked at the 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU supported memory (which does support DDR4 3600).

I noticed my memory not running at 3600, and then locked myself out of posting when I switched my frequency to 3600 in bios (and found my mistake).

My question is, can I run my RAM at a frequency less than it's advertised speed to match the max supported for my board? i.e. motherboard supports DDR4 3466, can I clock it to that in BIOS without issues? Or am I looking at buying new RAM?

Hi there,

Really all you need to do, is go to bios and set DOCP profile (this is Asus's version of XMP), and the ram should run at it's full speed. You can of course set timings manually, speed, and voltage which would led you choose the speed of the ram from a drop down menu. You could select 3200mhz here. But Ryzen loves fast ram, so getting the 3600mhz speeds will give you a little booost.

Hi there,

Really all you need to do, is go to bios and set DOCP profile (this is Asus's version of XMP), and the ram should run at it's full speed. You can of course set timings manually, speed, and voltage which would led you choose the speed of the ram from a drop down menu. You could select 3200mhz here. But Ryzen loves fast ram, so getting the 3600mhz speeds will give you a little booost.

Hi there,

Agreed, and actually that motherboard does in fact support DDR4 3600 memory, here is a link to the official memory QVL testing for that board with a Ryzen 3000 series cpu:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS/Memory_QVL_for_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors_X570_0722.pdf

I've just done a quick search on that doc and your memory kit is tested and validated to work at 3600 with that board - load the DOCP and you should be good to go.

Reactions: keith12
Dec 22, 2020
Hi there,

Thanks! I will set that up when I get home (stuck at work), appreciate it.

Agreed, and actually that motherboard does in fact support DDR4 3600 memory, here is a link to the official memory QVL testing for that board with a Ryzen 3000 series cpu:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS/Memory_QVL_for_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors_X570_0722.pdf

I've just done a quick search on that doc and your memory kit is tested and validated to work at 3600 with that board - load the DOCP and you should be good to go.
I manually set my frequency to 3600 last night, and my PC wouldn't even post into BIOS (had to clear the mobo). Will test the DOCP later today, thanks for the feedback!

ASK THE COMMUNITY