Can i run RAM speed above 2133 (Not OC) on H110, B150, H170?

JUSOCOM

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Can i run RAM speed above 2133 on H110, B150, H170?

I'm about to build a budget computer spec for friend of mine, and now i'm considered GA-H170-D3HP pair with Corsair Vengence LPX 2666Mhz it's okay if i'm go with it? and if i want to go for 3000Mhz can i be able do so well on H170?

Thanks in advance - Ju : )

Solution

It depends. Those chipsets for the most part only support 2133 unless they are XMP enabled or have overclocking abilities. Even then, I still think it depends on the CPU and memory to some extent as to whether it will run above 2133. If you're really intent on running faster RAM, you should probably just use a Z170 motherboard. There are several cheaper boards close in price to the Gigabyte you have. You will also...
Hi,

It make no sence to run such a computer at these levels. Why?
You will not gain anything from that, except shorten the life span of everything.

If You don't know what you're are talking about, just let it be, and you will be much safer on.
In other words: go for 2133MHz

Best regards from Sweden, Sweden

It depends. Those chipsets for the most part only support 2133 unless they are XMP enabled or have overclocking abilities. Even then, I still think it depends on the CPU and memory to some extent as to whether it will run above 2133. If you're really intent on running faster RAM, you should probably just use a Z170 motherboard. There are several cheaper boards close in price to the Gigabyte you have. You will also get some added USB and SATA ports . The Gigabyte board above doesn't appear to have XMP support since the memory list states that faster RAM will be downclocked.

Solution

Your answer makes no sense. Running faster RAM will not shorten the life of his components and in fact many games and apps show a significant improvement in performance when using faster RAM. If your reasoning was accurate, I highly doubt it would even be manufactured.

JUSOCOM

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014

Hello Flyfisher

This computer purpose for 2D working Digital Painting, Photoshop, After Effect, Premiere Pro as such. I want it to be a budget build but quite great at it price and long last. But i still want to increase more in bus speed a little bit to 2400 - 2666 or above so i'd worries if it possible and if it does it can go well or not.

And if you can explained to me more about performance gain and how much it can be harm from using any above 2133 on Non Z board i'll be very appreciate.

- Ju

JUSOCOM

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014

Thanks for clear things up : )

i also looking if this board are support for XMP or not but seem it doesn't have one. I'll consider if should i stick with 2133 or better go a little higher with Z170.

Thanks again - Ju

No, That is not true at all.
And I will tell you why:

Higher Ram frequencies and shorter timings in overcklock of Ram will be equal to higher ram voltage, more or less.
This in turn will shorten the life span of any electronics.

There is No such space ship as Star Trek travel around he galaxy for eternity.
Every single electron and ion's will cause problem in the solder joint and it is called intermetallic failure.
Eutectic solder joint is more susceptible to bulk solder failure while Sn-4Ag-0.5Cu is more susceptible to intermetallic compound (IMC) layer failure. Softness of Sn-37Pb reduces the stress in IMC while increases the plastic strains in bulk solder.

On top of that you will have vibrations over time (due to some frequencies), which indeed will cause trouble,
Best regards from Sweden

genthug

Honorable
He wasn't talking about overclocking RAM though? He was talking about simply getting faster spec'd RAM? Which ends up running at the same stock voltages?
If he was talking about overclocking that's one thing, but he wasn't. And honestly, yes it will shorten lifespan... but it will shorten it to what... 7-8 years instead of 10? Unless there's some realll bad overclocking techniques going on there... it's a moot point 99% of the time as there will be a new computer already replacing it in that time span.

Of course not. Hehe :)
I am just replying. I am not a freak that try to exercise in science.
I just like to play games once in a while: BF3,4, Battlefield Hard line, Crysis 2 & 3 (ooh the most extreme game of them all Crysis 3), Far Cry 4 and perhaps the best game after Crysis 3: Far Cry Primal.

Best regards from Sweden

JUSOCOM

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014

Wow i never know price are so very little differ between H and Z but in my country both board are about 20 USD difference in price. But anyway mainboard is one critical component so i would be okay if i put a little more cost and would go for Z170 but i still think about it.

In fact this is will be my friend computer. but i selected for him.

He not have much of money but he need computer for do work in 2D Animation he demand for not above 580 USD build if possible so i probably i may stick with H170 at 2133 and put cost on other component but i still consider that anyway I'll do my best to make sure it worth every cost he spent.

Thanks you for taking your times answer me : )

JUSOCOM

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014

I also hope it will be last that long too!!

i would be very satisfy : )