[SOLVED] Can i run stock speeds at a lower voltage on Ryzen?

guayabo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
I've got a Ryzen 5 3600, and theres a big debate about whether it is safe or not to run the stock voltages, with many people saying that above 1.35v it can and will degrade the CPU over time. When idling i just put 99% max power on Windows power plan so it sits at 0.9v and it locks at 3.5ghz, but if i ever want to use the full 3.9ghz speed while doing multi-core intensive tasks, can i just lock it to 3.9 and 1v for example? How do i know if its safe or not? I wanna do this both to preserve my CPU and because my PSU is a little tight with the watts.

Solution
I've got a Ryzen 5 3600, and theres a big debate about whether it is safe or not to run the stock voltages, with many people saying that above 1.35v it can and will degrade the CPU over time. When idling i just put 99% max power on Windows power plan so it sits at 0.9v and it locks at 3.5ghz, but if i ever want to use the full 3.9ghz speed while doing multi-core intensive tasks, can i just lock it to 3.9 and 1v for example? How do i know if its safe or not? I wanna do this both to preserve my CPU and because my PSU is a little tight with the watts.
I have a Ryzen 3900x and it actually runs faster and cooler with a negative voltage offset of 0.1

guayabo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
Run Auto and don't worry about it. One suggestion in this thread is to set a power limit rather than mucking with volts, which probably gets you closer to the solution you're looking for without unintentionally nerfing your performance. This article at Gamers Nexus may also help.
but it just gets too hot at stock, if i undervolt to around 1.1 i get a 20° difference with little performance drop

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
but it just gets too hot at stock, if i undervolt to around 1.1 i get a 20° difference with little performance drop

What are your temps at idle and load? I don't have personal experience with Ryzen, but if you idle under 50C and stay around 70C under load, there shouldn't be much to worry about.

In the end, if you're happy with the performance and temps you get at 1.1V, roll with it. It sure won't hurt anything.

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I have a Ryzen 3900x and it actually runs faster and cooler with a negative voltage offset of 0.1

Solution

guayabo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
What are your temps at idle and load? I don't have personal experience with Ryzen, but if you idle under 50C and stay around 70C under load, there shouldn't be much to worry about.

In the end, if you're happy with the performance and temps you get at 1.1V, roll with it. It sure won't hurt anything.
High 70's with frequent spikes up to 85°, with 1.1 i stay around 55° pretty consistently without the crazy up and downs that ryzen generally produces.
Ryzen cpu's are generally great with a fantastic msrp price in my country at least, but i do miss intel on the sense that i know they'll just be just solid, reliable cpu's out of the box and won't do funny stuff like 1.5v spikes. But really once you get past that point the performance is great.

TRENDING THREADS