[SOLVED] Can I run the RTX 3070 with these specs?

Sep 20, 2020
Corsair Carbide Series Spec Alpha Case - White/Red - White/RedLED Fan Lighting1 x Default Case FanProcessor1 x Intel® Core™ i5-8600K Processor (6x 3.60GHz/9MB L3 Cache)Processor Cooling1 x Corsair Hydro Series H60 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm FanMemory1 x 8 GB [4 GB x2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming MemoryVideo Card1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5Motherboard1 x ASUS PRIME Z370-P -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.1, 2x USB 2.0 [Intel Optane Ready] - Free Asus ROG T-Shirt IncludedPower Supply1 x 600 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS BronzeAdvance Cabling Options1 x Professional Wiring - for all standard default cables inside the systemPrimary Hard Drive1 x 64 GB ADATA SP900 SSD - Single Drive FREE Upgrade to 250GB WD Blue SSDData Hard Drive1 x - [FREE] 2 TB HARD DRIVE 7200RPM - Today OnlySound Card1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound OnboardNetwork Card1 x Asus PCE-AC51 AC750 Dual Band Network Card - Up to 750 Mbps, 2.4 + 5 GHz BandOperating System1

Solution
That rig will be fine with a 3070, especially at 1440p which is what the 3070 is built for, but 1080p/144Hz won't be an issue for the gpu. It might be an issue for the cpu, it's lack of threads might hurt some games a little.

The Asus ROG psus are rebranded Seasonic Focus Plus, but they are 650w Gold+, not Bronze (that I know of).
The Asus Tuff are Bronze, but not even numbered, all are *50w.

Chances are good it's more likely a Corsair CX 600 or Antec VP 600w or similar, meaning it'll need to be upgraded to utilize a 3070.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I'll be honest, it's quite difficult to read your spec and most people will turn away once they see the wall of text.

What monitor resolution and refresh rate?
What make and model PSU specifically?
What are you hoping to achieve from it?

Reactions: RodroX
Sep 20, 2020
Corsair Carbide Series Spec Alpha Case - White/Red - White/RedLED Fan Lighting1
x Default Case FanProcessor1 x
Intel® Core™ i5-8600K Processor (6x 3.60GHz/9MB L3 Cache)Processor Cooling1
x Corsair Hydro Series H60 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm FanMemory1 x
8 GB [4 GB x2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming MemoryVideo Card1 x
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5Motherboard1 x
ASUS PRIME Z370-P -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.1, 2x USB 2.0 [Intel Optane Ready] -
Free Asus ROG T-Shirt IncludedPower Supply1 x
600 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS BronzeAdvance Cabling Options1 x Professional Wiring - for all standard default cables inside the systemPrimary Hard Drive1 x
64 GB ADATA SP900 SSD - Single Drive FREE Upgrade to 250GB WD Blue SSDData Hard Drive1 x
- [FREE] 2 TB HARD DRIVE 7200RPM - Today OnlySound Card1 x
3D Premium Surround Sound OnboardNetwork Card1 x
Asus PCE-AC51 AC750 Dual Band Network Card - Up to 750 Mbps, 2.4 + 5 GHz BandOperating System1

here its in list form idk what else youd want

Sep 20, 2020
Hi Im new to the forums too. Your PSU may need to be upgraded to a 650w, but maybe you can get away with it. Your cpu may bottleneck but it only 3 years old so probably not by much. I believe you could run a 3070 in that sure.

Sep 20, 2020
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I'll be honest, it's quite difficult to read your spec and most people will turn away once they see the wall of text.

What monitor resolution and refresh rate?
What make and model PSU specifically?
What are you hoping to achieve from it?
1980x1080 144hz
600 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Bronze
just need a upgrade to run games better as my 1050ti is starting to <Mod Edit> the bed.

Last edited by a moderator:

InvalidError

Titan
just need a upgrade to run games better as my 1050ti is starting to <Mod Edit> the bed.
You may want to get another of the same 1x8GB you already have so you can run everything in proper dual-channel and get the most performance you can out of your 8600k, the rest should be fine to get a good chunk of what the 3070 should be capable of, just don't expect to break world records or 144Hz in more CPU-intensive titles.

Unknown/generic brand PSUs are usually a red flag for poor quality, you may want to look into getting something decent if you can find one, though prices were completely nuts last time I looked.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020
You may want to get another of the same 1x8GB you already have so you can run everything in proper dual-channel and get the most performance you can out of your 8600k, the rest should be fine to get a good chunk of what the 3070 should be capable of, just don't expect to break world records or 144Hz in more CPU-intensive titles.

Unknown/generic brand PSUs are usually a red flag for poor quality, you may want to look into getting something decent if you can find one, though prices were completely nuts last time I looked.
well i also just want something more up to date so the 3070 tickles that fancy, and yeah i just need another 8gb ram stick. just want to know if my rig can handle it

Sep 20, 2020

I think he has a Asus ROG 80 PLUS Bronze. Not sure how reliable Asus PSUs are but can't be that bad, right?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think he has a Asus ROG 80 PLUS Bronze. Not sure how reliable Asus PSUs are but can't be that bad, right?
You'd be surprised. Unfortunately one can't judge quality by brand. The ASUS PSUs I know of are quite good from my awareness, but equally don't have much experience with them as they're not about so much here. So couldn't say without knowing the specific model.

Having said that, like any brand, they can make trash and great quality alike. EVGA are a prime example, some really good units, and plenty of junk PSUs too!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That rig will be fine with a 3070, especially at 1440p which is what the 3070 is built for, but 1080p/144Hz won't be an issue for the gpu. It might be an issue for the cpu, it's lack of threads might hurt some games a little.

The Asus ROG psus are rebranded Seasonic Focus Plus, but they are 650w Gold+, not Bronze (that I know of).
The Asus Tuff are Bronze, but not even numbered, all are *50w.

Chances are good it's more likely a Corsair CX 600 or Antec VP 600w or similar, meaning it'll need to be upgraded to utilize a 3070.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution
Sep 20, 2020
You'd be surprised. Unfortunately one can't judge quality by brand. The ASUS PSUs I know of are quite good from my awareness, but equally don't have much experience with them as they're not about so much here. So couldn't say without knowing the specific model.

Having said that, like any brand, they can make trash and great quality alike. EVGA are a prime example, some really good units, and plenty of junk PSUs too!
Good point.