Can I Run Two Modems In My House?

Oldnavy180

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Currently I have one modem in my basement to directly connect to my computer (which is also where the wifi is (wifi built into modem))

I was wondering if I bought another modem, would I be able to move the old modem/wifi module upstairs (where it originally was) and put another modem in the basement thus having two modems hooked up to coax.

I have comcast internet and tv service if that factors into it.

Solution
So, solutions:
Best - Cat5e or Cat6 from the main router to elsewhere. A switch at that location to service multiple devices

OK #1 - Powerline devices. Off the main router, elsewhere is the paired device. A switch off that to service multiple devices
OK #2 - MOCA devices. Basically the same as powerline, except it pumps the signal through the house coax instead of the house electrical wiring.
This only works if the house is already wired with coax throughout.

Only if there is no other option - WiFi. Repeaters, extenders, etc.

USAFRet

Titan

The ISP talks to one and only one 'modem' per account.
Now....are the device(s) you have modem only, or modem/router?

Oldnavy180

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

The one that I currently have is a modem/router all in one

You may be better off looking at powerline or similar devices.

These can be used to bring a wired(power line to Ethernet) connection from upstairs to down.

This would allow the modem to be in one location with the wireless and you can just use a switch down stairs(for wired systems).

USAFRet

Titan
So, solutions:
Best - Cat5e or Cat6 from the main router to elsewhere. A switch at that location to service multiple devices

OK #1 - Powerline devices. Off the main router, elsewhere is the paired device. A switch off that to service multiple devices
OK #2 - MOCA devices. Basically the same as powerline, except it pumps the signal through the house coax instead of the house electrical wiring.
This only works if the house is already wired with coax throughout.

Only if there is no other option - WiFi. Repeaters, extenders, etc.

Solution

yimmi

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

I agree with the exception he can get a router instead of a switch and have both wifi and wired connection

USAFRet

Titan

An Access Point off that switch, instead of another router, achieves the same goal. You'd have to turn off all the router functionality anyway, so why not use a device designed for that.

yimmi

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

yep you recorected my correction:p