[SOLVED] Can I run win both 10 & Linux on my partitioned HD 500gb WD 7200

Oct 22, 2020
I have built PCs that used windows for far too long, it's time for the right OS & I am looking at Mint to start.
I have a new build right around the bend & I would like to learn OS now, & not ever load Winders on a build ever again.

Can you help me get started right? :p

Thanks in advance, Mike

Solution
Done properly, yes.

The best way to get your feet wet in Linux, however, is with just a LiveUSB or DVD.
No changes made to the existing drive or OS.

Second, try Linux in a VirtualMachine. I use VirtualBox for this, daily. Minimal changes to your system...just devote some RAM and hard drive space.

USAFRet

Titan
Done properly, yes.

The best way to get your feet wet in Linux, however, is with just a LiveUSB or DVD.
No changes made to the existing drive or OS.

Second, try Linux in a VirtualMachine. I use VirtualBox for this, daily. Minimal changes to your system...just devote some RAM and hard drive space.

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I dual boot windows and Linux mint but I do it the easy way. each OS is on its own drive. dual booting with a single drive is not impossible but it is more difficult than a dedicated disk that you can chose to boot from in the BIOS.

Oct 22, 2020
OK thanks, I will indeed use another drive for OS.
I would like to run both to evaluate both OSs however at
this point with a dead Printer, thanks to win 10 I would
rather not move forward with windows on the new build.

Now we get to learn a new OS, @ almost 69 I could not be happier.
This just gets better every year,l look how far we have come in such a short time.

USAFRet

Titan
The power of VirtualMacine

L-R:
Ubuntu
LinuxMint
Win 10 Pro
And the host Win 10 Pro

All at the same time
vcr5hI4.png

I've run dual boot with Windows and Linux since the early days of Linux. I didn't answer your survey because they are both "yes/no" and not "yes" versus "no". Couldn't figure out which was "yes".

Dual boot is easy if you use the Linux bootloader to chain load Windows. Getting the Windows bootloader to load Linux is a pain. Things are easier under UEFI partition schemes in comparison to the older BIOS scheme. If you are nervous, and don't have two separate drives to work with, then make a boot restore disk before installing Linux. It is easy to use a live distribution on DVD to restore the Linux bootloader, and this will detect and create an entry for Windows, but Windows needs preparation to restore its bootloader if you later decide you don't want Linux.

If your partitioning is a GPT partition (UEFI), the it is trivial to install Linux to a second disk, and simply set your CMOS setup to point at which disk you want. Pointing at the Linux disk (if Linux was installed while Windows was present) or the original Windows disk is easy from a dual disk install.

Oct 22, 2020
I am taking the
Introduction to Linux by edX.

My PC right now a worn out Win 7 PC that was a great build , however no longer do I need top worry if it crashes & burns.
I have room on the 500gb WD drive, I parted it in half & have plenty room.

My hope is to get my next build done, & install only Linux.
At this point I need to learn Linux & as the course has already mentioned, I should install Linux on my win 10 machine now.
Looks like they like Mint for beginners like me. :)

Dual boot is easy if you use the Linux bootloader to chain load Windows.

Sounds like a plan I should follow. Thank you.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I dual boot windows and Linux mint but I do it the easy way. each OS is on its own drive. dual booting with a single drive is not impossible but it is more difficult than a dedicated disk that you can chose to boot from in the BIOS.
As cheap as SSDs are these days,this is probably the best solution. You don't even need a large one-120 gig for $20 will do fine!

Oct 22, 2020
As cheap as SSDs are these days,this is probably the best solution. You don't even need a large one-120 gig for $20 will do fine!

I agree however ever since my first build a Win 95 machine, if I learned anything.
Don't always take the well worn path, because someday you will find yourself in the
outskirts of known safety. There been very little safe in my Journey I just keep pushing LOL.