Can I run windows 10 on my dual opteron 6344 server cpus?

jake9821

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
So I won these opteron 6344 cpus on eBay for 10 euros and after looking them up I noticed they have 12 cores each, so I want to use them on a windows pc. Can I just install windows 10 on the system with both opterons? I’m asking this because I haven’t baught the motherboard yet and if I can’t run windows 10 I’ll just sell the cpus.

Thanks in advance guys!

Solution
Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You wasted your money. Those are server CPUs, low clocked, and need a motherboard thats been long out of production and in some cases can be expensive. You will need Win 10 Pro to run them, and it will run slower and more sluggish than even a new Pentium based system. Hopefully your plan is not to use this for gaming, it will run games very poorly.

And I agree with Rogue. It's funny to see people trying to run low end multi processors for gaming.

Games aren't even designed to utilizes more then one CPU, you gain almost nothing from using two CPUs in gaming. Especially since not all games are CPU intensive.

You just waste more money on expensive server grade motherboards and equipment and lose out on a lot of functionality you would get with a consumer board since server boards are not designed for gaming.