[SOLVED] Can I runne higher RAM speed than the CPU support?

Dec 2, 2021
So I have just installed new memory in my PC DRR4 2x8 3200MHZ.
I have put on XMP and it shows that my memory is running 3200MHz in the task manager.
But my CPU only suport DDR4-1866/2133.

So my question is are the memory actually running 3200MHZ? Can this be harmful to my PC? Can this affect pc performance badly?

CPU: i7-6700k 4-core 4.0ghz

MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z170A GAMING M5

Solution
It's known as overclocking, and yes you can run the ram at DDR4-3200MHz, just make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version and you've got good airflow in your chassis since the overclock on the ram will tax the memory controller on the processor = more heat dump from the processor. Further answer, yes it's running at DDR4-3200MHz. So long as the cooling is optimal and the power to your platform is reliable, you have nothing to worry about.

Lutfij

Titan
It's known as overclocking, and yes you can run the ram at DDR4-3200MHz, just make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version and you've got good airflow in your chassis since the overclock on the ram will tax the memory controller on the processor = more heat dump from the processor. Further answer, yes it's running at DDR4-3200MHz. So long as the cooling is optimal and the power to your platform is reliable, you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: VSS28
Solution
Dec 2, 2021

Fantastic, thank you very much for the answer