Can I safely overclock my Toshiba Satellite C75D-B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberfix

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
If so, how? I purchased it only about a year ago and I put 16 GB RAM in it. Runs Windows 10. AMD8. It is increasingly slow. Run mutliple malware tests...clean. Have disabled many apps. Is there anything I can do?

Cyberfix

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply. It's an HDD. I erred...I have 12GB of RAM. AMD8 6410 APU AMD RADEON 5 2.00 GHZ. I was told this would be a good laptop...at least for web browsing and games and its horrible. Is it supposed to be this slow? I mean it's not the lowest AMD hard drive...

bignastyid

Titan
Unfortunately for gaming it's not going to be good and there is not much you can really do about that. With 12Gb of ram it means you are running in single channel mode which will lower performance especially where you are using an APU. APU graphics us system ram as vram as they lack dedicated vram and they perform better with faster ram. Installing a dual channel kist of DDR3L 1866(fastest ram the system supports) could give you a few extra FPS but a 8Gb kit is going to cost ~$60 and a 16Gb kit is ~$90. You could try just removing the 4Gb sodimm and replacing it with another 8Gb sodimm(~$55) but there's no guarantee it will play nicely with the existing 8Gb stick.

Replacing the HDD with an SSD can make a very noticeable difference in other things. The OS will boot much faster, programs will load faster, the system will feel snappier. A decent 250Gb sata SSD will run ~$80 500Gb ~$140.

Cyberfix

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

How do you know it's a single channel? I put this memory in as soon as I bought it. I think it's a two channel actually since I removed the original memory stick and replaced it with two. As far as replacing the hard drive I am not going to. I now have an Acer i7 with only 8 GB RAM which is much faster. I don't use my PCs for gaming gaming but Facebook games. This computer has shut itself off when playing Candy Crush Saga. I've changed the paging file numbers numerous times but it doesn't help. It's very frustrating. I would never have added memory had I thought it wouldn't make a difference. I do notice that both PCs have memory issues when playing Candy Crush Saga on Facebook. That is ridiculous as this only happens in Windows 10 not Windows 7 as I've been playing CCS for years and only had Windows 10 the past year and a half.

bignastyid

Titan
Dual channel on AMD requires both sticks to be the same size, with 2 dimms and 12Gb the only possible configuration is 4Gb and 8Gb dimms so single channel operation. Intel has a hybrid mode where the first 8Gb would run in dual channel and the other 4Gb is single channel and to my knowledge(I might be wrong) AMD doesn't have an equivalent to this. To verify you can run a program called CPU-Z and on the memory table next to channel it will say single or dual.

Cyberfix

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

Should I remove one of the memory sticks then? BTW that was a pain to install in the first place...I remember the difficult time my late husband had when he installed the extra memory. As far as adding another 8GB I couldn't because I am pretty certain it can not expand past 12GB(although I could be wrong.)

bignastyid

Titan

No need to remove unless you are replacing,. Removing 1 stick wouldn't help and could hinder performance. The system supports a max of 16Gb via 2 8Gb dimms.

Cyberfix

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

Oh, okay. Thanks. I'm not going to waste my time adding any more ...time and money with no guarantee of better performance...especially since I have a better laptop I recently purchased. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.