Question Can I safely replace a 4GB stick of RAM with an 8GB stick?

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Hello,

I have been able to determine that my computer is crashing via a stopcode error FAULTY HARDWARE CORRUPTED PAGE. I ran a few tests and it seems my computer memory has some issue so I want to replace the RAM.

I currently have a 4GB and an 8GB stick of RAM in my motherboard. Is it OK for me to upgrade the 4GB stick to an 8GB? The cost for the upgrade is nominal. I just want to be sure that there isn't something like a RAM port that can only handle 4GB of RAM and I go and break something.

Here is a gallery with an image of my current RAM sticks. Tap on each image to view a much large photo.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/XXhFtss

The specs on my PC are below:

Lenovo HP - 6 years old. Very good condition.
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: AMD A10-7800 73°C Kaveri 28nm Technology
RAM: 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28) (8GB+4GB)
Motherboard: LENOVO Bantry CRB (P0) 47 °C

Thanks in advance for your help!

Should be fine. Try to find a matching part number to the 8GB SK Hynix module already installed, hmt41gu6dfr8a-pb. I'd just get it used.

Mainly this is so that there won't be any compatibility issues. Any SK Hynix is likely fine (as long as it isn't Registered memory). But if timings aren't an exact match. They may work at a lower speed they both support. Still the best is just to buy a matching set.

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Should be fine. Try to find a matching part number to the 8GB SK Hynix module already installed, hmt41gu6dfr8a-pb. I'd just get it used.

Mainly this is so that there won't be any compatibility issues. Any SK Hynix is likely fine (as long as it isn't Registered memory). But if timings aren't an exact match. They may work at a lower speed they both support. Still the best is just to buy a matching set.

Hello! These are my choices.

I can get these which are being sold together...not sure if they are matched?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EBC50H...olid=3UMFO6MWH0Y0G&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Or, I can buy two of these, which is gu6b rather than gu6d; gu6d is in the part number for my current RAM.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Y42YJ...olid=3UMFO6MWH0Y0G&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Last edited:

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Perfect timing. After I ran a Memory Test last night and learned of the memory issue, I shut down my computer. This morning, as soon as the computer gets power, I am getting 3 short beeps and 1 long beep and no visual on my monitor. According to my motherboard brand, AMI, the beep pattern indicates (based on a few separate articles I looked up) that this means there is an issue with the RAM and it should probably be replaced.

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Well, I installed the new RAM sticks and am getting the same bios beeping and still can't see my screen. Prior to this everything pointed to bad RAM. Is it possible that my new RAM arrived DOA? I have no idea what else to do and do not want to use GeekSquad.